Sci-Fi Exhibit

Short Takes

Most parents would not think twice about their child's fascination with science fiction. But for one Harvard professor, who took more than a passing interest in his son's viewing of "Star Wars," the experience has stimulated an ongoing journey--into the historical significance of extraterrestrial beings.

Several months after writing a book on the topic, Karl S. Guthke, Francke Professor of German Art and Culture, has brought his pursuit to understand man's concern for life on other worlds down to earth, in a new exhibition of rare books and magazines at Houghton Library.

Guthke explained that society's attitude towards extraterrestrials has changed significantly from the era of the Inquisition, when men often met their late at the stake for even thinking about the possibility of life in outer space.

"As an historian, I was interested in how thinkers have approached this subject." Guthke said, adding that he will also offer a lecture on the topic, tomorrow afternoon in Houghton's Exhibition Room.

Spanning 400 years, the confection ranges from works by Copemicus to H.G. Wells. Among the ligher writings are several early science fiction magazines, with titles like "Fantastic Adventures" and "Astounding Stories of Super Science."