Mel King Visits

Recently declared Boston mayoral candidate Melvin H. King dropped by the Science Center Monday night to try to organize student support for his campaign.

Speaking to about 40 Boston area college students and other supporters, the South End state representative took a few jabs at incumbent Mayor Kenvin H. White and asked students to help organize campus campaign groups and increase minority registration--now estimated at under 50 percent.

The only Black candidate in the expected field of seven also laid out the themes he will stress during his campaign: equitable distribution of city resources, more investment in the neighborhoods, decentralization of the city government, increased job opportunities for residents, and elimination of racial tensions.

People say Boston is a very racist place, very violent, and very dirty. "King Saul to the mostly Black audience, "Boston has a negative image in terms of the racist problem."

King said he wants White to run against because, using a basketball term, "I want to take him to the hoop."

King declared his candidacy Saturday and is the first official entrant into the race.

A primary--open to both Democrats and Republicans--will be held in September to narrow the field down to two contestants. The final showdown will come on November 6.