Puerto Rican Forum

Short Takes

Puerto Rico's three most important political figures met at the Law School last night for a symposium on relations' between the United States and Puerto Rico. The forum marked the first time in six years that all three have appeared together.

Representing the territory's three prevailing political philosophies-for statehood, for independence, and for continuing to exist as a commonwealth-each spoke for 30 minutes and fielded sometimes thorny questions for another hour.

Ruben Berrios-Martinez, the president of the independence party, said that the idea of the U.S. giving Puerto Rico" any kind of self-determination is pure hypocrisy as long as there is colonialism."

He added that the main interests of the U.S. in the Caribbean island were geopolitical and economic. Because Puerto Rico is not a state corporations operating in the commonwealth pay no federal taxes, and take billions of dollar

Using from the studding room-only crowd of more than 300.

Cartos Romero-Barrel Governor on Puerto Rica, said the agreed with many of Herrion's points, but added that the way to light for equity is to demand the full rights of statehood. And Ruffle Human in Colon, governor of the commonwealth from 1973 to called for economic last moment under the aegis of commonwealth hood.