The Best of Tomes, the Worst of Tomes

Harvard Summer School 1983

JAMES WATT won't read this book. Henry A. Kissinger '50 hasn't talked about it in recent television interviews. But that hasn't kept the more than 5000 Kremlin on Charles summer denizens from devouring copies of Harvard Summer School 1983 sent to them over the last few weeks.

What they have seen is not allegations of government wrongdoing, but a comprehensive look at one of Harvard's fastest growing operations. From the detailed chronology in the early "Calendar" chapter to the pithy biographical sketches in the final "Faculty" section, a clear picture emerges of this annual eight-week sweatshop.

Marshall R. Phil '55, director of the Summer School, wrote the introduction, which chronicles the program's 112-year history. He touches briefly on its four-year hiatus in the '40s. wrought by the Axis attempt at world hegemony; he then notes, ironically, the institution's own subsequent turn towards imperialism. The small Brahmin-oriented school of the Depression years now infiltrates "forty-six states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico...the Virgin Islands [and] a record 66 countries."

What follows is a blow by blow account of Harvard's summer game, and keen University-watchers will note quickly the haunting parallels to the regular college itself. The summer student, like the winter resident, must contend with the tribulations of Harvard housing: the scaffolds, the hammers, and a contract prohibiting "firearms of any type, animals and pets of any kind, air-conditioning and food preparation appliances, high-wattage appliances of any type, water beds, and motorcycles." Each also eats in the same dining halls responsible, as much as anything else, for the thriving restaurant economy in the surrounding Square. And there is Ec 10. Chem 20. Gov 30 (hiding under the summer pseudonyms Ec S-10. Chem S-20. Gov S-30).

BUT THERE ARE sharp differences between the inner workings of Harvard during the summer and the other three seasons, differences which are scrutinizing this latest document without some familiarity with the University might have difficulty discerning. One notable deviation is the emergence from nine months of hibernation of the University's Ukrainian program. Buried by a whole host of committees and departments during the year, the Ukrainian Institute makes up one-third of the special summer-long academic programs, while the Soviet Republic permeates the regular summer course offerings. (One-fourth of the summer history menu deals with the Ukraine, including "Topics in Ukrainian Religious History," "Modern Ukraine," and "The Ukrainian National Movement on the Eve of Revolution and Civil War (1881-1917)."

Another salient variation on the curricular theme is the summer edition's more liberal standards for academic coursework. Joining the ranks of "Multivariate Calculus," "Principles of Genetics," and "Shakespeare: A Survey of the Plays" are the likes of "Autobiography," "Basic Journalism," and "GMAT/GRE/MCAT Review Courses." (The latter, however, do not count for credit.)

The omissions, as well as the additions, make the seasonal comparison interesting. The director's message states that "our summer faculty members are comprised mostly of teachers with a Harvard affiliation," which in many cases means "lecturer," "instructor," "postdoctoral fellow," "teaching fellow," "drill instructor," or a Ph.D. from years before. A large number of the actual professors are the "distinguished visiting faculty members from other American and foreign institutions."

But perhaps the most important revelation of Harvard Summer School 1963 is the striking similarity it uncovers between the oldest American college and the oldest American summer academic session: the bottom line. The same mentality which makes a Veritas diploma among the most expensive in the country can be seen throughout the 156-page document, where request for payment is a recurring theme. Twice, in fact students are offered the option of tuition via inter bank wiring (Account No. 22270045. Bank of New England. Boston Telex: MERNATINT 940191). The Best education in life is, after all, not free.