Before the Drinks . . . After the Show

So, you finally made it to Harvard. Now, go get yourself a drink. With I.D. saying 20 in hand. Harvard Square offers many opportunities to part with some brain cells. The following are the 14 most notable locations at which you can do just that. Note that almost all the bars are open until 1 a.m. Sunday-Wednesday, and 2 a.m. Thursday-Saturday. But don't plan on gulping a drink just before closing, since last call can be up to a half hour earlier. Also, regardless of the size of the glass served, the majority of the establishments pour about 1 1/2 ounces into most mixed drinks.

The Boathocse (56 JFK St.): One of the newest bars, it is also one of the most popular among students Decorated in basic crew with authentic wood shells and team shirts, the Boathouse features a discount wheel and trivia questions during happy hour--4-6 p.m. daily--and free hot dogs on weekends. Manager Michael Meehan says he seeks a "good" crowd, i.e., don't wear a T-shirt. Draught beer served at $1.25 domestic and $1.75 imported, while mixed drinks run from $2.25-$2.75.

The Bow and Arrow (Bow St.): It's an unwritten rule in the Square that Harvard students shouldn't include the Bow and Arrow (a.k.a. Father's) in their plans for six days of the seek, but rather make up for their weekly abstinence on the seventh While leaving the other days for the Cantabrigian locals, the Wednesday night happy hour deal of $2.25 per pitcher of Knickerbocker beer is too good to keep people away from this cavernous establishment. If you want to break new ground however, pitchers go for $3.95 other days.

Charlie's Kitchen (10 Eliot St.): Charlie gives you a choice between bars in his two-floor emporium, but undoubtedly it's the food that brings most students to this Brattle Square watering hole. The infamous double cheeseburger special ($2.85) is particular noteworthy. With or without that delicacy, a mug of domestic beer goes below $1 at both bars, each of which sports a jukebox and color television.

Chi Chi's (1001 Mass. Ave.): As the only national chain which has a drinking establishment in the Square. Chi Chi's might ring a bell for out-of-towners. For Southwesterners, or for those with a special liking for the Mexican fare, the half-mile walk down Mass. Ave. towards Central Square is well worth it, especially during happy hour, from 10-1 on Friday and Saturday nights, and 9-12 during the week. Chi Chi's offers cut-rate Margaritas, and the staff lays out a sumotuous nacho chips and spicy dip buffet.

Club Casablanca (40 Brattle St.): From Mexico to North Africa, Casa B's is probably where Rick--that's Humphrey Bogart, for the uninitiated--would hang out if he came to Cambridge. Nowhere she will you lie back in a cushioned wicker chair, whiskey in hand, with a piano player tickling the ivories in the corner of the room. His name isn't Sam, but he'll play it again and again if you want.

Eric's Roof Garden/Swiss Inn (114 Mt. Auburn St.): Owned by the same company. Eric's is located above and behind its sister establishment and really is the only place in the Square where you can catch a few rays as you drink. Naturally, you pay a few more cents for that privilege. The Swiss Inn Features a 4-7 p.m. happy hour Friday afternoons, with 50s off drinks and a buffet of cold cuts, cheeses, and chicken sings Basically, a free dinner.

Grendel's (89 Winthrop St.). Not many bars can brag about being opened by the United States Supreme Court but Grendel's Bar--located right below the restaurant with the same name--is one which can. A landmark court decision last fall struck down a time-worn Massachusetts law allowing churches to veto liquor license applications for establishments within 500 feet of their property. Grendel's Bar is the newest in the Square, and is fast developing a regular clientele. It is also the only bar which allows customers to select their choice of record and then plays it from a collection of gold and jazz.

Ha' Penny (121 Mt. Auburn St): Featuring the third best jukebox in the Boston area (according to one local magazine). Ha' Penny resembles a London pub. It also offers the most diverse clientele of any bar in the Square: you will probably sit between a construction worker on break from the subway construction and a faculty members reading. The Icemen Cometh A 12-oz mug of draft goes for a buck and bartenders pour some of the strongest mixed drinks in the area, starting at $1.75.

The Hong Kong (1236 Mass Ave): Odds are that you have heard of the Kong. If you haven't, you soon will--and odds are even higher that by the end of the summer you will have sampled the Kong's notorious. Scorpion Bowl Droves flock to the garish pink building every day of the week except Monday, when it's closed. The first floor is primarily Chinese food and the second is a bar (read: chaos) with masses of students from all over Boston edging for an open space in which to sip their Bowl with 10 ounces of liquor ($7.75) or sample one of the bottled beers from the Kong's 69 Club collection. Worth one trip, but don't forget to bring "positive" ID to get by the moon lighting Cambridge cop at the door.

One Potato, Two Potato (1274 Mass Ave) The jury is still out on One P. Two P. a wood paneled modern bar/restaurant which, depending on who you ask, is either a fun place to go or a pseudo-artificial hangout. If you side with the former, One Potato offers a great view of the action on Mass. Ave As you watch the people walk by, try the Bloody Mary ($2 10) served in a large glass measuring cup.

Oxford Ale House (36 Church St) Reputedly the toughest bar in the Square, although do wander in from time to time for the music and dancing, which is good and inexpensive. The Ale House is a good place to hear fledgling Square bands for a cut-rate price, especially on the weekends.

Sunflower Cafe (73 H.k St.): Located below Pizzeria Uno's Sunflower's customers are primarily hungry pizza-calers waiting to be seated. The Sunflower, however, is really a nice bar in itself. With a color television, backgammon darts and occasional live musical entertainment there are enough things going on at the Sunflower to make it shine on its own. During happy hour from 3-6 every day, mixed drinks are cut by up to a dollar.

33 Dunster St. (guess): Nestled underground, 33D--like One P. Two P--is a bar restaurant which has both its touters and detractors. The long but thin bar is often crowded and attracts a steady student crowd. The bar area is also attractively designed and is equipped with chess and backgammon tables. One of the outstanding features of 33D is that it is one of the few Square bars where you can run up a tab without having to pay after every round. A little expensive--($1.75 for a domestic draught).

Whitney's Cafe (37 JFK St.): The only place in the Square to get a Rheingold on tap, if that is a plus. As high as the odds are that you'll go to the Kong at least once the odds are ever larger that you will never enter Whitney's. The night bartender, Joe, laments the fact that more students don't visit what many believe to be Harvard Square's only real working class bar He attributes the absence of "youngsters," somewhat mysteriously to the Vietnam War.

Wursthaus (4 JFK St.): The centerpiece of this bar/delicatessen is its collection of more than 100 international beers. It's a great gimmick, but makes for a lot of headaches in bottle bill Boston. The Wursthaus is basically a good place for a sandwich and a beer. And remember: At the Wursthaus it's not how it tastes but where it's from.

If you prefer taking your booze back to your room two business can till your needs as well as your class.

Harvard Provision (94 Mt Auburn St) Known to everyone as the Pro, this emporium offers Bud as well as other domestics for $13.40 a case and Heinken at $20 per Industrial cans go at 65c and61.05 respectively The pro sells a liter of Gorden's Vodka at 58.25 and a fifth of Beeteater Gin at $11. It is open during the summer from 10 a.m-7 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Saturday and 10 a.m. 8 p.m. Thursday and Friday.

Varsity Liquors (1390 Mass Ave) This store tucked away at the corner of JFK St, and Mass. Ave next to the Tasty, has a smaller selection than the Pro but is a few steps closer to the Square. It offers Bud for $14 99 and Heincken Gordon's goes for $6.99 a liter and Beefeater for $11 a fifth. Varsity is open 9 a.m. 10:30 p.m. every day except for Sunday.