Nuclear Free Answers

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Your September 19 editorial on the Nuclear Free Cambridge question is accurate both in rebuking the City Council for denying ballot access for such an important issue, and in calling for efforts to educate Cambridge voters so they can make an informed decision come November. It is difficult to address in full the various issues you raised, but some brief clarification can be made within this limited space.

On academic freedom: The Nuclear Free Cambridge Act specifically excludes nuclear medical research and carefully limits its scope to work directed toward the creation of nuclear weapons or their delivery systems. Both Harvard and MIT have regulations against such research and neither would be affected by the legislation. It must also be remembered that nuclear weapons research is shrouded in tight secrecy which is a far cry from the free communication of ideas and information which is the ideal of academic inquiry.

On taxes: Draper Labs, the company which would primarily be affected by the legislation, pays no taxes to Cambridge. The real estate taxes for the land and building out of which Draper works would continue to be paid by its owners, the Prudential Company.

On jobs: There are both long-and short-term effects here. In the long run, more jobs are created per dollar spent by any activity other than high-tech defense work. This type of conversion to non-defense work is an integral part of the legislation, which orders the preparation of a plan to convert effected facilities by the October 1, 1985 deadline. Yet Draper may decide to move even with such help. What about jobs then?

The building housing Draper labs is not likely to lie empty, with the high demand for office space in Kendall Square. Another company will move in bringing jobs with it. And Draper is not likely' to move far, with its tight ties to MIT. Many Draper employees (only 9 percent of whom live in Cambridge anyway) could keep their jobs in a slightly different place.

Having weapons companies move a short distance may seem contrary to the intent of the legislation, but looking realistically, I don't see it that way. The Nuclear Free Cambridge referendum will clearly not change our military policy overnight. However, with new first strike weapons about to be deployed in Europe and research for such weapons going on here in Cambridge, it will set an example and a precedent for other cities to effectively say "No!" to first strike weapons and the deadly spiral of the arms race. This will pressure legislators to oppose military spending which would be of no economic benefit to their district. And it would pressure companies engaged in military work to consider more socially useful alternatives.

As arms control negotiations continue to stagnate and weapons production moves ever onward, it seems about time that people in the cities and towns begin to take the issue of our survival into our own hands, to force real action. The Nuclear Free Cambridge referendum is an opportunity for Cambridge citizens to do just that.. before we lose the chance. James K. Hammerman '83-'84