B.C. Downs Icemen, 5-3; Huskies Take Beanpot

N.U. Triumphs

By James D. Solomon

For the amount of work required to turn away 36 Boston University shots to secure Northeaster's second-ever Beanpot Championship. Huskie goalie Tim Marshall is grossly underpaid at $7 an hour.

The tournament MVP and winner of the Eberly "Trophy for Outstanding Goalie (two games, 53 saves in 58 shots) is not complaining. In fact it is $15 more than he usually gets for a win.

Ever since Marshall was six years old his father, Donald Marshall, has paid him $5 for each win and $10 for a shutout.

"He's worth $20 tonight," said the senior Marshall, following Northeastern's shocking 5-2 upset of the nation's fourth-ranked hockey team.

Marshall should share some of his paycheck with Bob Averill, who got the game-winning goal, and Ken-Manchurek, who iced the victory with an open-net goal to make it 4-2 with 1:09 left to play.

Marshall will also surely remember Referee Charles Holden, who disallowed what would have been a tying goal early in the third period.

A 30-ft. slapshot by B.U. defenseman Joe Delory beat Marshall, hitting first the crossbar and then the right post. The goal judge's light went on, bringing a sellout Boston Garden crowd of 14,451 to its feet and a swarm of disagreeing Northeastern players around Holden.

"The way I saw it if went in," dejected Terrier Coach Jack Parker said following the game. Throughout the game Parker was enraged with the officiating, especially following the second period when he maintained a heated discussion with Holden as his team cleared the ice.

The game, however, was clearly won by the Huskies.

Following a scoreless first period in which both teams played tentatively, Northeastern fell behind just 11 seconds into the second period.

Terrier forward Joe Cappelano broke the scoreless deadlock when he converted a rebound off a deflected slapshot by teammate Tony Majkozak. The puck hit B.U.'s Denis Lagarde's stick and then caromed off of the Huskie goalie to the waiting Cappellano.

Northeastern answered back with the first goal of a furiously paced last 10 minutes of the second period.

The Huskies' Randy Bucyk scored an unassisted short-handed goal, his third one of the season, past an out-of-position and out-stretched Terrier goaltender, Cleon Daskalakis at 11:49 of the second period.

With N.U.'s Craig Frank still in the box, the B.U. icemen roared back to regain the lead just 16 seconds later following a Kevin Mutch deflection of a shot by Scott Shaunessy.

Offsetting roughing penalties to 'B.U.'s Chris Mays and N.U.'s Maurizio Pasinato at 14:37 of the second period provided the fast skating Huskies, who are averaging nearly five goals a game, with the opportunity to tie the game at two.

An exquisitely executed three-on-two offensive surge into the Terrier end left N.U.'s jay Heinbuck with a 20-foot shot at a screened Daskalakis. Heinbuck flicked the puck into the upper left corner of the net with nearly three and a half minutes to go in the period.

The Huskies went ahead for good, 3-2, with Co-Captain Bob Averill's power-play goal just six seconds after the Terrier's Cappellano was sent to the sin bin for tripping. Two more empty-net goals at the end of the third period clinched it for Northeastern.

After the game; victorious Coach Fern Flaman, who said he almost took a dive over the boards after Manchurek's goal, said he thought that the presence of his son Terry-who is dying of bone marrow cancer-and his wife, Jean, inspired the team.

Repeatedly during the awards presentation the players pointed and raised the Beanpot to Flaman's wife and son in the stands.

B. Joe Cappellano (Denis Lagarde, Tony Majhozak), 0:11; N. Randy Bucyk (Unassisted), 11:49; B. Kevin Mutch (Scott Shaughnesey, Paul Gerlitz), 12:06; N. Jey Heinbuck (Brian Fahringer, Craig Frank), 16:33; N. Bob Averill (Heinbuck, Roman Kinal), 17:34; N. Ken Manchurek (Unassisted), 18:51; N. Bucyk (B. Averill), 19:33.

Savee-N, Tim Marshall 10-11-13--34; B. Cleon Deskalakis 7-9-8--24.

Alt--14,451. At the Boston Garden Northeastern  0  3  2--5 Boston University  0  2  0--2