Icewomen Frustrated in 1-1 Deadlock With Bulldogs

Tie Deals Blow to Crimson Ivy Title Hopes

By Nick Wurf

Harvard women's ice hockey scored just four minutes into its Saturday afternoon date with Yale in New Haven. It seemed only right, what with the Crimson being expected to blow out the hapless Elis, who had lost to Princeton, 17-0 earlier this season.

But after three periods and a 10-minute overtime, the Crimson came scuttling back to Cambridge licking its wounds after a most frustrating 1-1 deadlock.

The tie dropped Harvard's slate to 7-5-1 overall More important, it dealt a severe blow to any Crimson Ivy title hopes. With a 2-2-1 league mark, the icewomen can only hope that both Princeton and Dartmouth drop crucial league contests.

Yale took full advantage of its home-ice advantage to slow the icewomen and prevent them from playing their game. One a hot afternoon, the Coliseum was super-heated to almost 60 degrees in a move that sufficiently softened the ice. That forced Harvard's superior skaters to slow down and play the chipper game that their hosts prefer.

Yale also benefited from several crucial officiating calls. The icewomen figured they would be so far ahead that refereeing blunders would not have decided the outcome Without the killer instinct, though, the Crimson paid the price. In the second period, Crimson Captain Diane Hurley and right wing Kelly Landry broke down the ice on a two-on-one. The puck rebounded off freshman goalie Kathy Brady and trailing center Kathy Carroll's shot went just inside the left corner of the net. The puck squirted under Brady's glove and over the goal line.

But the Harvard goal and the apparent 2-1 Crimson lead were short lived. Very shortlived.

The official who had gotten caught behind the play blew his whistle when he lost sight of the pock--when it disappeared under Brady's glove. And by the time he arrived the wily netminder had pulled it back over the goal line. No goal. Big argument. Still not goal.

Harvard got its only score at 4:45 of the first period. Dinny Starr, a wing forced into service at the blue line because of an injury to regular Mcgan Berthold, took the puck on the left side and threw it across the ice to Landry. The junior then fed Carroll in front of the net for the score.

After the second-period controversy. Yale converted at 4:20 off the final period when the Elis finally beat Tate for a goal and a tie.

Despite having to kill a penalty in the overtime. Harvard pressed and outshot Yale, 7-2. And when Sue Newell missed for the Crimson with just four seconds left, Harvard had its most frustrating tie--of defeat, if you will--of the season.

THE NOTEBOOK: The icewomen take on winless Boston University in the first round of the Beanpot at Northeastern on Tuesday at 7 p.m. ... Carroll's goal gave her 13 for the season, one more than Landry...Saturday, Harvard outshot Yale, 38-24. At Ingells Rink Harvard  1  0  0  0--1 Yale  0  0  1  0--1

H, Kathy Carroll (Kelly Landry, Dinny Starr) 4:45; Y, Urvine (Lukey MacMullen) 4:22. Saves: H, Cheryl Tate 6-9-6-2--23; Y, Kathy Brady, 10-13-7-7--37.

Attendance: 230.

Attendance: 230.