Tracksters Finish in Back of the Pack

Men's Track

When a team is put to the test 19 times and only comes out victorious twice, it seems a small wonder that they can still place third in a meet as competitive as the Greater Boston Championships.

While Northeastern and Boston University assembled 112 and 79 points respectively, the Harvard men's track team scrambled for a mere 48 points this weekend at the Gordon Indoor Track.

If in the face of the Huntington Hounds and the Terriers. Harvard couldn't match up, the Crimson looked like champions in comparison with week Boston College. MIT, Brandeis, and Tufts teams.

In the end. Harvard was left in the wake between two steller squads and a number of sluggish opponents.

In spite of the relative dearth of Harvard points, some Crimson thinclads ensured that their opponents had to fight the Crimson all the way to the wire.

After Harvard's Kimbro Stephens ran the 440-yds in a brisk 49.97 to earn second place. Thomas Quinn exploded in the 600-yd race, winning in 1:11.82 Quinn's strong performance set the tone for James Herberich, who secured second place in 1:12.25.

Next, Edward Bunney took command of the 880-yd race. Bunney left the entire field behind him as he aggressively chased a time that would qualify him for the Nationals at Tokenberg. N Y in March Running virtually by himself against the clock. Bunney broke the wire in a spectacular 1:51.36.0.06 faster than the required qualification time.