Flooding Plagues Canaday; Officials Blame Roof Design

Henvy precipitation combined with what officials describe as poor roof design caused widespread flooding and leaking in Cansday Hall this week.

Students complained of bathroom flooding fallen plaster, and soaked carpeting in all Canaday entryways, in some cases, even reaching second-floor levels of the four and five-story buildings.

"Cansday is known to have a number of problems," said Buildings and Grounds Yard Manager Edward Rosen, adding that eventually the roofs will undergo complete "recovering." He was unsure, however, of when the repairs would be made.

Students also complained recently of poor plumbing and mice infestation.

A Buildings and Grounds official who refused to be identified labeled the flooding a "typical snow leak in Canaday," adding that Canaday's pitched roofs and flat sections around gutters commonly create large snow accumulations.

"This is not a new problem," said second year Canaday proctor James A. Klenkar '81, adding that last year's leaks "were even worse because of the worse weather."

Snow Job

Temporary clean-up measures included removing snow from the roofs and vacuuming up water in individual suites, Rosen said.

"The drips woke me up in the middle of the night," said Byton G. Morusonith '87 adding that he then noticed water all over the floor and dripping plaster in the bathroom.

"We have a velour chair that is covered with wet plaster," he said.

"We had to use buckets in catch the dripping water in the bedroom," said Ron N. Cohen '87 of Canaday 1.

No Problem

But Alan Edwards, assistant area superintendent, said that these leaks caused "no substantial damage." "It's just inconvenient, that's all," he said, adding that there had been surprisingly little complaint from students.

Rain storms without snow, he said, are usually not a problem.