Government Rearranges Scientific Monitoring

By Christopher J. Georges

In response to professors 'longstanding complaints of federal control over scientific research, the government is implementing sweeping changes to increase university autonomy in administering federal research grants.

But, while some professors praise the moves, others sharply criticize the increased role for university staffs.

Labeling many of the changes as a "nightmare." Chairman of the Mathematics Department David Mumford said, "University administrators are much harder to handle than the government. They don't trust the professors to do anything."

The new regulations, implemented by the National Science Foundation modify the highly controversial Circular A 21 which quires scientists who receive government grants to document carefully how they spend their money.

Many professors find these requirements irrational and burdensome, particularly "effort reporting," where a professor must determine what percentage of his time he spends on certain tasks.

Major abuses of government funding while rate sometimes include salary, charges for researches not working on a projected and misuse of travel funds.

The recent changes will allow universities to approve federal funding for foreign travel and purchasing permanent equipment, to grant extensions and to combine funding for related projects according to the report to the Grace Task Force which was assembled by President Reagan to study problems of university research.

Newly implemented National Institute for Health standards known as Fixed Obligation Grants will reduce spent on administrative procedures through pre award negotiations.

This system allows researchers to discuss with the government the cost objectives and time on research of the project before it begins free the scientists to spend more time, on research and lesson paperwork professors agreed.

Labeling the new regulations as a major breakthrough. Serge Lang visiting professor of mathematics, said, "if words mean what they say, then this is truly the end of percentage of activity or effort reporting."

According to A Simone Reagor, director of Harvard's office of sponsored research, the changes will result in reduced paperwork for scientists and shorter waits for government grant approval.

Some professors, however, objected to the increased university control.

While Mumford labeled university control over related grants as a "Godsend," he added that, "because the University is greedy, and wants to push up the overhead, they want us to keep more records We have three times as much paperwork."

Referring to the claim that increased University control reduces waiting time for grant approval, Mumford said, "before it was a matter of one phone call, but now we have to fill out an elaborate system of forms."