Penn Tops Stickwomen, 1-0; Crimson Mark Falls to 0-4-1

The Harvard field hockey team continues to outplay its opponents. And continues to lose.

Saturday's 1-0 loss to Penn at Soldier's Field was as familiar as it was disappointing.

The stickwomen, failing to capitalize on 10 penalty corners and an often sluggish Penn defense, lost their second game in a row--and their Ivy League opener--and dropped to 0-4-1. The Quakers improved their record to 3-2 (2-0 in the Ivy League.)

It was the third game of the season in which the Crimson failed to score.

"We didn't execute very well," Crimson Coach Nita Lamborghini said.

Had Harvard been able to take advantage of its good field position, the final result might have been different.

But the Crimson shot only three times on Quaker goalie Nancy Meisinger and only one shot, a blast by Forward Linda Runyon with 18 minutes left in the first half, came close.

"We need to feel more confident in the shooting circle," Co-Captain Alicia Clifton said. "And shoot more."

On the other hand, Penn got off five shots, one a follow-up scoop by Patti Vivial--who had her initial shot blocked by Crimson goalie Denise Katsias--which flew above Katsias' outstretched mit and into the net.

"They had three girls on me and I just missed [the ball]," Katsias said.

With less than four minutes left in the game, Lamborghini removed Katsias and put Anne Kelly in the goalie box as the eleventh field player. Without pads and a mask, Kelly could cover more defensive ground and free one of the Crimson defenders for offensive duty.

"I'd rather try to tie the game than take the loss," Lamborghini said of the Kelly for Katsias switch. "It doesn't matter if you lose 1-0 or 2-0--it's still a loss."

Unfortunately for the Crimson, it was the fourth loss in a season that is beginning to look ominously like last year's 5-10 campaign.

"This is the last straw," Clifton said. "We're not going to take it anymore. No more losses."

THE NOTEBOOK: A hundred spectators were on hand for Harvard's home opener. . .Inspirational music from Harvard's marching band--practicing on a nearby field for the football game--didn't seem to help the Crimson. . .Harvard's next game is against Springfield Tuesday at Soldier's Field.