Sound Decision

LAW SCHOOL AD BOARD

THE LAW SCHOOL Administrative Board should be commended for its decision last week to withdraw a reprimand issued to a student earlier this fall. The student was punished on the basis of testimony defending another student against charges that arose from the protest against a South African diplomat at Lowell House last April. While questions still remain about the Ad Board's actions over the summer and fall, this recent move is a step in the right direction--a step that should be continued by the board and by other University disciplinary bodies.

The Ad Board's recent decision came after a law student could not get other students to testify in his behalf for fear of being charged on the basis of their testimony. The board adopted new procedures safeguarding students from having testimony on behalf of their peers used against them. Because the new procedures would have protected the student who was reprimanded earlier this fall, the Ad Board has decided to revoke its decision to reprimand her.

The recognition that witnesses should be protected against self-incrimination, though belated, indicates that the Law School Ad Board is interested in formally safeguarding the rights of students who appear before it. Such safeguards have long been absent not only at the Law School, but also at the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities and the College Adminstrative Board. Let's hope that a similar recognition will be forth-coming from the Faculty of Arts and Sciences as it reviews University disciplinary procedure this year.