Netmen Sink Midshipmen

By Jonathan Putnam

The Harvard men's tennis team got more than it bargained for when it travelled to Navy yesterday for its 1985 Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis Association (EITA) season opener.

But weather, time and fortune favored the Crimson (6-3 overall, 1-0 EITA), and the netmen escaped Annapolis, Md., with a 6-3 victory.

The Midshipmen played surprisingly well, extending three of Harvard's top four players to three sets and actually taking a one set lead in four of the six singles matches.

The Crimson rallied, however, and clinched the match by virtue of a 5-1 record in singles Sophomore Bill Stanley, playing second singles took his match in straight sets.

Rain forced the squad to move inside to play the now-meaningless doubles matches--which may prove costly. Arkie Engle, who plays fifth singles and first doubles, went down with a twisted ankle, and the Cantabs were forced to concede his match.

Harvard will play its final regular season non-league game Saturday when it travels to North Carolina to take on the University of North Carolina to take on the University of North Carolina-Charlotte.