Harvard Band Moves Out of the Kitchen

By Joseph C. Tedeschi

Remember when you were a little kid and played rock 'n roll band with pots and pans for instruments? Well, just when you thought it was safe to go back to the kitchen, it's time for No Exit, a band made up of current and former student employees of Harvard Dining Services.

"We're mainly a rhythm and blues, pop band, but we can definitely rock and party when we have to," said David Alves, lead singer of the band and a Union employee from 1980-86. Other members include co-founder Ken Sparrow and Frank Rousseau, both of whom have worked for Food Services.

The band, which is already a mainstay at Boston clubs such as Paradise, Jack's, and The Channel, entertains high hopes for its future. "We're very optimistic. We're young, good-looking and always ready to party," said Rousseau, who worked in the Union from 1984-86.

No Exit members hope to be making a name for themselves nationwide. "We cut a demo about two weeks ago to introduce our music to the public," Sparrow said. The demo tape has been distributed to radio stations nationwide and already has sold more than 100 copies.

The demo will soon be getting air time on Boston-area radio stations such as Kiss 108, WBCN, WHRB, as well as Los Angeles stations, Sparrow said.

Although the band is enjoying its success, they're discouraged about never having played at Harvard. "We're dying to play for the students right here at Harvard. We'll play anytime, anywhere. The college scene is a great place to be. All we want is the support of the school," Alves said.