City Bitties

Plum of an Idea

First he wanted to pave Harvard Yard with asphalt. At other times throughout his 34-year political career, City Councilor Alfred E. Vellucci has proposed turning the Lampoon into a public latrine.

Last night at city hall, the 70-year old Vellucci was up to his old tricks. A long-time critic of Harvard's encroachment into the city, Vellucci asked the nine-member city council to consider reclaiming the land spanning Cambridge St. between the Science Center and Harvard Yard.

And what does the East Cambridge lawmaker want to do with the overpass? Give the land to local residents interested in growing plum tomato plants.

"I have a belief that Cambridge owns that land [above the tunnel] since all that Harvard was interested in was to create a pedestrian walk for students," Vellucci said at last night's City Council meeting.

Nearly twenty years ago, Harvard built the Cambridge St. tunnel in order to create a walkway between the Yard and the then newly built Science Center. The council agreed to investigate the ownership of the overpass.

Skateboard City

If City Councilor Alice K. Wolf has her way, Cambridge may not only become a sanctuary for Central American refugees, but also a haven for skateboarders.

Responding to an order presented by Wolf, the council decided to require the city manager to submit a report on "potential locations, feasibility, and cost of an adequate skateboard ramp facility for use by Cambridge young people."

"It seemed like a good, healthy recreation," said Wolf who received several requests for a skateboard ramp. She said that such a facility would be much safer than the MBTA Harvard Square subway plaza which was used as a skateboard ramp before barriers were erected to discourage local youths.

Wolf suggested Rindge Park as a possible location for a ramp but would not be pinned down on specifics.

"I'm really not an expert on the construction of skateboard ramps," Wolf said.

Happy 50th

For years, the city council chamber has been the home of the "best show in town" according to many Cambridge natives. But from now on residents will have to go to the Sullivan Chamber to watch the city's nine lawmakers make public sport.

In recognition of the years of public service by Mayor Walter J. Sullivan's family, the city council last night renamed the city council chamber in honor of the city's best known political dynasty.

This year the Sullivans are celebrating five decades of involvement in citypolitics. Michael A. Sullivan--Walter'sfather--became a city councilor in 1936 and wassucceeded by his son Edward in 1950. Waltersucceeded his brother as a city councilor in 1959.

"It's kind of a shock," Sullivan said. "It'squite an honor. You don't usually get these thingsthings while you're still alive to enjoy them."

"I can't think of any family that has that manyyears of continuous service," said CouncilorThomas W. Danehy who sponsored the action