Populist Revivalist

Taking Note

By Jonathan M. Moses

IN WHAT HAS to be one of the greatest political sleights of hand since Ronald Reagan promised to decrease taxes, increase spending, balance the budget all at the same time, the television evangelist Pat Robertson has declared that he is going to run for President. The good Reverend won't actually throw his frock into the political arena unless three million people indicate their support for him in the next year. Robertson has deftly avoided appearing too political while at the same time creating the beginnings of a populist "Draft Robertson" campaign.

The Reverend Robertson says that God speaks to him. So if there aren't three million good Christians out there willing to support America's most popular television evangelist, then the state of religion is in pretty sad shape. But, as in the case of the Cabots and the Lowells, it's likely that those people who sign Robertson's presidential petition do so because they appreciate that he, not He, talks to them. Robertson may talk to God but he understands that it is the support of us mortals, whether it be measured in Nielsen ratings or votes, that really matters.

While the Reverend Robertson holds views which are contradictory to the very constitution he would have to swear to uphold, the means he has chosen to garner support in his race for the presidency should not be taken lightly. Too often politicians ignore the fact that real people vote for them, choosing instead to rely on polls and television. But there are real people out there and they want to feel wanted and perhaps they even hope for the politicians to offer them a little fervor.

Fervor--the very word is anathema to mainstream politicians. But, yes, Americans dig it. Pat Robertson knows that because his job is to get the holy to roll in the aisles. Tommy Walker and David Wolper know that, and all they did was create a gigantic celebration honoring an iron lady.

ROBERTSON'S POPULISM is rooted in his extremism, but that doesn't mean some progressive candidate for President can't capitalize on the support of the very same people. The only problem is that liberal politicians have forgotten how to stir up this popular support.

Too often those who have ideas that will aid "the people" forget to appeal to the basic values that make the people "the people." Ronald Reagan, on the other hand, managed to speak to Americans, offer a very radical vision and get much of it into law. How can a liberal, who oftentimes offers a vision of boring bureaucrats and disparate special interest groups, do the same?

First of all progressives need to recognize that there are many disenfranchised individuals still waiting for someone to articulate their concerns. Robertson represents a group that used to be ignored--the religious right. There are also groups which would be receptive to a progressive message: Hispanics, Blacks and others outside America's mainstream.

More important, liberals have to speak the same value language that Americans speak. While it is true that people in this country are diverse, they share common values. Religion is one, individual liberty another and family a third. These are the values that permeate our society.

Robertson's message speaks only to a specific group but he's learned to direct it toward real people, maybe only three million strong, not empty numbers in a demographic study. The next person who wants to lead this country ought to lead all of it. Unless progressives learn the lesson the Reverend Robertson teaches, the voice of America's extremists will become a lot more appealing.