Thinclads Visit Yale, Look to Bounce Back

By Chris Thorne

The Harvard men's and women's track teams will travel to New Haven tomorrow to race against archrival Yale.

"It's going to be a really close meet," women's Co-Captain Katie Toner said. "We're counting on the depth of the team and the ability of each person to contribute."

Harvard has a young team with hidden potential. This potential could blossom down in unfriendly Eli territory.

"We're definitely a force to be reckoned with," Toner said. "A lot of the freshmen are going to come around and start to peak as they make the transformation from high school to the intercollegiate level."

Long Distance

Yale's strength is its long distance runners. The Elis won the cross-country Heps last fall and finished fifth in the nationals. The Crimson beat Yale in the indoor season, but with the addition of outdooor events, Saturday's confrontation could go either way.

The Crimson defeated Brown, but fell to Dartmouth in last weekend's triangular meet on McCurdy track. The Crimson currently boasts a winning record of 2-1 overall (1-1 Ivy League).

A victory over Yale will improve Harvard's standing in the Ivies and pull it over the .500 mark.

Despite injuries to key runners, the women's team retains depth and should fare well in tomorrow's competition.

The men's team, however, might have a tougher task. The Crimson fell to both Dartmouth and Brown last weekend despite impressive first place performances by Co-Captain James Russell, Rutledge Simmons, Chris Sullivan and Shawn Carew.

"The strength of the Ivy League in all events is pretty impressive," Toner said. "It's going to be a tough meet for the men."