W. Booters Catch Fire, Scorch Columbia, 5-0

By Colin F. Boyle

After the Harvard women's soccer team netted just 14 goals in 13 games last season, Coach Tim Wheaton prayed that the Crimson's attack this year would be a little more productive.

In Saturday's season-opener against Columbia, Harvard's offense answered Wheaton's prayers with a vengeance.

The Crimson crushed the Lions, 5-0, as five different players scored in an attack that thrilled the crowd of 25 Fans at Ohiri Field.

"We generated a lot of offense today," Wheaton said, "but I'd like for us to keep playing consistently at this level."

Harvard came storming out of the blocks and scored just two minutes into the game when sophomore forward Christin Biggs knocked in a rebound from a shot by sophomore Ann Kletz into the left corner of the net.

The Crimson tallied again at the 27-minute mark when junior Jen Gifford took a pass from Kletz and placed a shot between the outstretched hands of Lion netminder Susan Kerr and the crossbar.

"[Kletz] gave me a perfect pass and I just hit it in," said Gifford, who is playing fullback for the first time in her career.

"[Gifford] played a terrific game," Wheaton said. "When you play full back, you don't expect to score much, but that shot she took was perfect."

After helping to create the first two Harvard goals, Kletz decided to put one in herself just five minutes later. Taking a pass from sophomore Sue Carls, Kletz broke in between two defenders and blasted a shot into the right corner of the net.

Captain Amy Winston got the last goal of the first half for the Crimson by stealing the ball from Columbia sweeper Eve Bouboulis with 16 minutes left in the half.

Harvard continually peppered the Lion goal in the second half, but only tallied once. Sophomore midfielder Tracy Hackeling booted home a deflected crossing pass from outside the box with 30 minutes left in the game.

"We're asking a lot of Tracy Hackeling to be our playmaker this year and today she came through," Wheaton said.

Healthy Mind, Healthy Body

Wheaton put all of his healthy players into the game for a few minutes, including three goaltenders--starter Liz Wald, Beth Reilly and Jen Clawson.

Because of Harvard's solid defense--led by sweeper Andrea Montalbano--the Lions never threatened, taking only four shots all game.

"It was nice to get a shutout," Wheaton said. "The defense was solid today, and that's due mainly to Liz and Andie."

THE NOTEBOOK: The Crimson outshot Columbia, 29-4, and took six corner kicks to the Lions' none...The goal by Winston, a senior who was plagued by injuries in her first three years, was the first of her collegiate career...Kletz, who had two goals and an assist for fourth place on the Crimson scoring list last year, jumped out to an early lead this year with her goal and assist Saturday...Hackeling had a chance for another goal in the first half, but her direct kick hit the post...In other Ivy League action, Brown defeated Yale, 5-0...Harvard hosts 20th-ranked New Hampshire tomorrow at 3 p.m. at Ohiri Field.