The Notable Quotables Of A Semester

"This is in every way a step back from genuine democracy."

--Robert P. Wolff '54, on the Young Report's plan to increase the University's role in selecting Board of Overseers' candidates (Crimson 9/24/88)

"Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy."

--Sen. Lloyd Bentsen (D-Tex.) to then-Sen. J. Danforth Quayle (R-Ind.) (10/6/88)

"The Employer's brief is replete with misinterpretations."

--Administrative Law Judge Joel A. Harmatz in dismissing Harvard's challenge to last spring's union victory (10/25/88)

"The committee fround that substantial portions of [Dr. Shervert H.] Frasier's work were taken from other papers."

--Med School Dean of Academic Affairs S. James Adelstein about the former head of McLean Hospital, who resigned when his plagiarism was discovered (11/29/88)

"The real story was she was a pink baby. But occasionally she told people it was because of her leftist politics."

--Peter W. Galbraith '73, explaining the sobriquet of his classmate and Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir "Pinkie" Bhutto '73 (12/6/88)

"The University does not equal a microcosm of society."

--Ford Professor of Social Sciences Daniel Bell speaking at an open forum about minority and women faculty hiring (12/8/88)

"Post-modern thought is about to annihilate all past thinkers--from Socrates to Marx--more effectively than the barbarians after Rome and their Dark Ages."

--Allan Bloom, the best-selling moral philospher, speaking at the Kennedy School (12/9/88)

"I suspect that people just don't see the master as someone that [they] could go to talk about certain issues."

--Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 explaining why only 10 percent of students said they were "very satisfied" with their masters on last year's survey (12/10/88)

The Gulf Station is "located in our midst. It's FAS turf as far as I am concerned."

--Coolidge Professor of History David S. Landes, who advocates using the site of the Mass. Gulf Station for a library, instead of the hotel University planners have agreed upon (12/14/88)

"We want to project images that bash stereotypical images of the pro-life position, such as that it is only a Catholic issue."

--Kathleen M. Taylor, co-president of the recently formed Harvard/Radcliffe Progressive Alliance for Life (12/16/88)

Michael S. "Dukakis would be a good addition to the school, if that's what he wants to do."

--David Runkel, acting director of the Kennedy School's Institute of Politics, speaking of the governor's future plans (1/6/89)

"What the U.C. thinks on the clubs...really doesn't make a whole lot of difference."

--Phillip A. Schuller '89, president of the Phoenix S.K. Club, on a letter the U.C. sent to the nine final clubs asking them to admit women (1/9/89)

"The only question [about South Africa on the Harvard campus] should be 'How can we use our money and the prestige of the University to make sure that apartheid cannot work?'"

--The Rev. Allan Boesak, speaking to students at Memorial Church (1/18/89)

"I want to give my life to the children. I started with the school committee and that's where I'm going."

--Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci, discussing his decision to retire from Cambridge City Council and run for School Committee next year (1/18/89)

"We have been losing money on every sandwich we sell."

--Professor of Law Alan M. Dershowitz, discussing the financial straits of his deli, Mavens, which has closed its doors (1/18/89)

"A new breeze is blowing, and a world refreshed by freedom seems reborn."

--President George Bush, Innaugural Address (1/23/89)