Stickwomen's Win Streak Halted By Boston U., 3-2

It was wet and it was wild.

In a game which had been postponed because of the swampy conditions at Soldier's Field, the Harvard women's field, hockey team's five game-winning streak ended when they met the nation's 12th-ranked team yesterday at Boston University's Nickerson Field.

The 17th-ranked Crimson (7-3 overall, 3-0 Ivy) fought to a 1-0 lead as it dominated the first half, but the Terriers recovered in the second half to pull out a 3-2 win.

Senior Sharon Landau scored the game's first goal when she scooped the ball into the net after a B.U. defender had vainly tried to deflect her initial shot off a Lisa Cutone corner.

"It was one of the prettiest goals ever," senior Co-Captain Erin O'Brien said.

The second half, however, was a different story. The Terriers came roaring out and quickly took control of their turf.

"We just weren't as fired up as they were," O'Brien said.

The Nickerson Field artificial surface soon turned into an enormous slip-and-slide as the rain continued pouring down on the field. But the Crimson contained the Terriers.

"We knew what they could do, so we were ready," O'Brien said. The Crimson defense," led by last year's Ivy League Rookie of the Year Ceci Clark, prevented deep penetration. Two of the goals were, in fact, on corner hits.

"We really played excellent defense," sophomore Loren Ambinder said.

Nonetheless, the Terriers kept up the pressure. Harvard bowed to three consecutive Terrier goals in the second half. The Crimson rallied with a goal with two minutes remaining in the game, but it couldn't counteract the B.U. offensive onslaught.

The Crimson rolled down the field several times and finally scored on a corner hit. Senior Co-Captain Char Joslin's shot on the goal bounced off the Terrier goalie's pads to sophomore Becky Gaffney. Gaffney slapped the ball into the dripping net to close out the scoring.

THE NOTEBOOK: Junior forward Anne van Dykum sat out with a broken right thumb...Loren Ambinder, van Dykum's substitute, played against her twin sister Leslie...Harvard's next game is scheduled for Saturday at Soldier's Field at 11 a.m. against Dartmouth, the defending Ivy League champion.