M. Booters Now the Spoilers

Soccer Notebook

By Michael R. Grunwald

The spoilers are wearing Crimson.

After losing to Dartmouth, 1-0, last Saturday at Ohiri Field, the Harvard men's soccer team found itself no longer in contention for the Ivy title.

The Crimson (5-7 overall, 2-3 Ivy) can help to determine who does wear the league laurels this season, as it still plays Princeton. The Tigers (9-2, 4-1) share first place with Yale (8-3, 4-1).

Last weekend, Princeton disposed of Cornell, 3-0, thanks to a goal from Andy Dechet, the league's leading scorer. It was the third game-winning goal of the season for Dechet.

The Elis edged Columbia, 1-0, on an overtime tally by Lars Richter. The loss removed the Lions from first place.

Yale's Grinch-like defense is anchored by goalie Bryan Martin, who received Ivy Player of the Week honors for his efforts. The Columbia game marked the fourth time this season that Martin has shut out an Ivy rival.

Harvard can help the Bulldogs by defeating Princeton Sunday at Ohiri Field. Yale will host Penn Saturday.

"We'll continue to do the best we can to win," Harvard Coach Mike Getman said. "We also will play some more people.

Hunting Eagles: Before Harvard tries to fulfill its role as the spoiler, it meets Boston College (6-8-1) tomorrow night at Alumni Stadium.

The Crimson must win this game as well as its final two games of the season to record its eighth-straight winning season. The Eagles also need to win their final three to finish above .500.

Justin Ceccarelli (7 goals, 5 assists, 19 points) leads the B.C. offense. He is supported by Glenn Moller (5-1--11) and Andy Sage (2-3--7).

Brian Boussy has manned the nets for the Eagles. Boussy has a 1.75 goals-against average.

Bruin Fact: On September 29, the Harvard women's soccer team travelled to Providence, R.I., to take on Ivy rival Brown. The Bruins had won seven straight Ivy titles, but had managed only a tie with Dartmouth in their opening league game. Harvard's hopes for an upset were high.

The Crimson played the Bruins even for 116 tantalizing minutes. But with four minutes to play in the second overtime period, a Suzanne Bailey header wasted Harvard's valiant effort, propelling Brown to a 2-1 victory and a clear path to the Ivy title.

Last Saturday, the Bruins virtually sealed up the title, overcoming Cornell in Providence. All that remains on Brown's schedule is lowly Columbia. Harvard (4-7-1 overall, 3-1 Ivy) could only think about the four minutes that separated it from first place.

Honors for Erin: Harvard fullback Erin Matias made the trip to Providence last month, but--sidelined with tendinitis in her ankle--she could only watch helplessly as the Bruins ruined Harvard's Ivy aspirations.

Last Friday, with Matias healthy, Harvard took its frustrations out on the Green. Matias, customarily a defensive specialist, came out on the attack early. Her low blast from outside the penalty area, barely handled by Dartmouth goalkeeper Debbie Tripaldi, was the Crimson's best scoring threat of the first half.

With the score tied, 1-1, Matias again found herself deep in enemy territory. When Green sweeper Jen Hand trapped the ball near her own goal line, Matias did what she did best--charge through her.

Matias blocked Hand's clearing attempt with her knee into the back of the Dartmouth net. For her efforts, the freshman from Framingham, Mass. was named Ivy Player of the Week.

Keepers: Sophomore goalie Jamie Reilly kept the men's team within striking distance with several clutch saves against Dartmouth. The Big Green had several chances, but only Paru "Heavy" Mital could put the ball by Reilly. Mital scored off a deflected shot early in the first half.

Getman, however, will start sophomore goalie Scott Salisbury against B.C. In Salisbury's last appearance, he shut out Cornell, 1-0.

"I've been very happy with both goalkeepers," Getman said.

No Sobbin' for Robin: Sophomore striker Robin Johnston solidified her position as Ivy scoring leader by scoring Harvard's first goal against the Green. Johnston has five Ivy goals--four of them in the season opener against Columbia--for 10 points.