Bowers, Harvard A-Boat Capture Sailing Crown

By Peter I. Rosenthal

Harvard sailing. It's probably not a sport that you follow closely, but perhaps it's time you should.

Last weekend was a momentous occasion for the Crimson at the Atlantic Coast Championships, hosted by MIT on the triangular course on the Charles River Although Harvard placed only sixth in the 14-team regatta, junior skipper Jim Bowers won the championships, competing against many former all-American sailors. Alex Fiks crewed for Bowers.

"It's the biggest regatta I've won at Harvard," Bowers said. "It was the strongest field you'll find in the country except for may be the nationals."

Harvard entered one boat in both the A and B divisions. Although skippers John Dickson and Paul Sabin struggled with the B-boat throughout the two-day regatta, Bowers and his A-boat were clearly in control.

The A boat competed in nine races on Saturday and finished the day with a slim lead of six points. Five races were scheduled for Sunday to complete the 14-race round robin, but the final race was cancelled due to time constraints.

Harvard led the A division by only two points with three races remaining on Sunday, and the wind had picked up considerably. Neverthless, Bowers managed to win the final two races to come away with the victory.

"I went in thinking I had a chance to win, but I didn't know how realistic it was," Bowers said. "The competition was staggering."

Bowers's victory in the Atlantic Coast Championships closed out the fall sailing season for the Crimson. Harvard has the nationals to look forward to in the spring, and Bowers is confident that the Crimson will be ready for the challenge.

"We look really strong," Bowers said. "We could do very well at nationals."

The Big Time

While Bowers can savor the greatest victory of his career this winter, the biggest race of his life awaits in the spring.

Bowers previously qualified for the World Championships in England, to be held the first weekend in May. The race is open to independent entries as well as to college-affiliated students, and Bowers will have the opportunity to truly distinguish himself as a sailor.

When you think of spring sports, you may think of the crack of wood against cowhide. But keep your eye out for Jim Bowers and the Harvard sailing team.