Two for the Road: Squash Teams Sweep

The Harvard men's squash team continued its perfect season with a 9-0 blanking of Trinity College yesterday in Hartford, while the Crimson women's team had a bit more trouble, coming from behind to defeat the hosts, 6-3.

In men's action, the Crimson (3-0) overcame courts covered with dust and an obnoxious Trinity crowd to dominate its opponent. In eight of the nine matches, Harvard won, 3-0.

"We didn't play great but we did what it took to win," number-seven player Josh Horwitz said.

And when it comes to Harvard squash against an inferior opponent like Trinity, it doesn't take much. Not one Harvard player has lost in regular season action this year.

Playing its first game of the season, the women's team had a bit more trouble, falling behind, 3-1, in the early going as number-six Mary Cist, number-eight Kristen Walter and number-four Daphne Onderdonk fell to their Trinity opponents.

Sealed

But five straight Crimson victories sealed the match. While top seed Tri-Captain Jenny Holleran, number-three Stephanie Clark and number-five Brooke Bailey easily won in straight games, the match overall was a disappointing one for Harvard, who as a perennial contender for the national championship, would be expected to dispose easily of an inferior squad like Trinity.

"In general we were disappointed," Holleran said, "but it ended up all right. That's not our best play."

The women's team hopes to improve its play this weekend at the Princeton Invitational. While the men's team had to drive three hours for the easy victory yesterday, it will have to drive a much longer distance this Saturday to match up against another inferior squad--Cornell.