Fencers Gain Mixed Results

Sports Wrap

There was no foilin' around this Saturday when the women's fencing team easily defeated Hunter College, Princeton, and Air Force at a quad meet in Princeton.

The men, on the other hand, weren't able to savor the taste of victory as they lost to both Princeton and Air Force in what Co-Captain Paul Pottinger described as "a couple of disappointing losses."

Co-Captain Kristina Perkin said the women fencers owed their win to "all around good fencing" and in particular to "Amanda Leness' outstanding job."

Leness, a senior who has been an alternate, left the bench to win 14 of her 16 matches overall. Co-Captain Penelope Papaillas, (16 wins), Perkin (15 wins) and Amy Neuhardt (15 wins) also sparked the Crimson demolitions.

None of the matches were even remotely close. After beating Hunter College, 15-1, and downing the Air Force Academy, 16-0, Harvard continued their slash-and-burn fencing to easily defeat Princeton, 13-3.

Unfortunately, the men are in a more `defensive' position. Although they beat Hunter College, 21-6, they lost to Princeton, 20-7, and Air Force.

"Everyone could have and should have fenced better than they did," Harvard's Peter Einaudi said.

Co-Captain Adam Weintraub added that he thought the scores were "a bad reflection of the team. We'd just come back after exams."