Tower Debate Starts; Nomination in Peril

WASHINGTON--President Bush launched a no-holds-barred effort yesterday to salvage John Tower's nomination, meeting privately with a dozen swing Democrats and wavering Republicans in hopes of persuading them to back his choice for defense secretary.

"I'm working hard at it," Bush told reporters at a picture-taking session during an afternoon Cabinet meeting. "I'm committed."

Formal debate on the nomination is scheduled to open today, and senators are reading a confidential FBI report on the former Texas senator's drinking habits, possible womanizing and lucrative consulting contracts with military companies.

The administration's efforts suffered a setback when Sen. Larry Pressler (R-S.D.) announced he was "very much leaning against" confirmation and urged Tower to withdraw before a vote.

"I think that he may very well be doing him [Bush] a favor in this case," said Pressler, who said he was fearful that Tower would not be capable of cleaning up the Pentagon procurement system if confirmed.

Bush said he did not know whether he could win over senators who have indicated opposition to Tower, saying only, "I hope so."

But with Tower sitting on his left in the Cabinet Room, the president said he had not heard anyone "challenge this man's knowledge and his ability."

"He's the best to do the job that needs to be done," Bush said. "I don't believe that anybody should be pilloried on the basis of unfounded rumor. I've known John Tower a long time, longer than many that are criticizing him out there in various walks of life."

Bush said he thought that Americans had "an innate sense of fair play" about such matters and said he did not think that Tower should be judged on the basis of perceptions about his character.

"So, if somebody has a specific objection, fine," he said. "They have a right to state it."

White House spokesperson Marlin Fitzwater told reporters that there was "no chance whatsoever" of the nomination being withdrawn.

"We're going to fight it out as far as we can. We've convinced a lot of senators, and we hope to convince a lot more," said Fitzwater, who refused to specify which senators had been won over.

With Democrats holding a 55-45 majority in the Senate, Republicans can ill-afford any defections from their own ranks if Bush is to prevail in the first high-stakes political showdown of his five-week-old presidency.

Bush invited several Democrats and Republicans to the White House for a series of one-on-one meetings to discuss the nomination.

Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell (D-Maine), who has not announced his position, did not talk with reporters as he left the White House. Sen. James Exon (D-Neb.) has said he expected Mitchell will oppose the nomination, which has failed thus far to attract the public support of any Democratic senator.

The president held early morning meetings with Sens. John Breaux (D-La.), Bennett Johnson, (D-La.) and Dennis DeConcini, (D-Ariz).

Bush also scheduled individual meetings with Sen. John Warner, (R-Va.), the ranking GOP member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, and Sens. Charles Robb, (D-Va.); Lloyd Bentsen (D-Texas) and Bill Bradley (D-NJ.).