University Seeks New Community Liaison

O'Neill Successor Will Be Asked to Expand Public Service Programs

By Matthew M. Hoffman

The search for a new liaison between Harvard and the community probably will not alter the way the University negotiates with Cambridge, Boston and the state, a top University official said yesterday.

Vice President for Government and Public Affairs John Shattuck said that in choosing a successor to the current liaison, Jacqueline O'Neill, the University will look for someone who will continue to seek input from community groups and city and state officials.

O'Neill, Harvard's associate vice president for state and community relations, announced last week that she would step down from her post in June. She has been the University's chief representative to the community for 12 years.

As associate vice president, O'Neill has overseen a wide range of community service programs, ranging from relief efforts for victims of the earthquake in Soviet Armenia to support programs for the city's school system.

One successful program has been the Cambridge Partnership for Public Education, Shattuck said. The partnership, which Shattuck cochairs, provides school administrators with mentors from the business and University communities.

Shattuck said he wanted O'Neill's replacement to expand similar community service programs.

"I think it's part of the whole philosophy of the University at this point to push and move forward as far as possible on issues of public service," Shattuck said.

A Complex City

O'Neill has drawn praise from Harvard and community members alike for opening discussion between the city and the University. At the same time, the University's forays into real estate and development markets have spurred city activists to charge that Harvard is ignoring their interests.

But Shattuck said that controversies are inevitable in a city as complex as Cambridge and added that under O'Neill, Harvard had made serious efforts to consult a wide range of groups.

"There are a lot of areas where there's been controversy, but I don't think anyone can say there's been a lack of consultation," Shattuck added.

In the past, many community service efforts have centered on the city's school system. Shattuck said he hoped support for the schools could also be expanded as part of the University's renewed commitment to public service.

Good Relations

Although relations between the University and the school system are already "very good," School Superintendent Mary Lou McGrath cited a number of areas she would like to improve.

"We have a number of people who are interested in the Business School--maybe going to some of the seminars and stuff," McGrath said. She added that she participated in programs at the Law School.

McGrath also said Harvard should consider providing scholarships to Cambridge schoolchildren.

"I don't know if there is a way to increase that, but a lot of people ask about it at School Committee meetings," McGrath said.

One factor that could influence Harvard's relations with the community is the selection of Kristen S. Demong to replace Vice President for Administration Sally N. Zeckhauser as head of Harvard Real Estate. Demong, who yesterday took over as director of the University's nonacademic holdings, will be a key player in many controversial policy decisions.

Demong said she will try to continue O'Neill's policy of open discussion.

"I'm a big believer in making sure that people know what's on the agenda," Demong said. "As long as people know what's going on and they have a chance for input, concerns tend to dissipate."

Shattuck said the office of state and community relations probably will not change after O'Neill departs.

"We're not going to invent a new office," he said.

And, as O'Neill said in an interview last week, Harvard is here to stay, so it must maintain comfortable relations with the community.