Dunster House English Tutor, 41, Dies of AIDS

A non-resident Dunster House tutor and extension school instructor praised as a dedicated teacher died March 11 at Stillman Infirmary at Holyoke Center, of AIDS. He was 41.

Paul A. Marx, of Somerville, had been a history of architecture instructor at the Harvard Extension School since 1981.

"What I admired most about Paul was the enthusiasm he had in teaching," said Christopher Waters, who co-taught an undergraduate tutorial with Marx. Waters added that Marx "encouraged students to develop an inquiring mind."

According to William P. Meyerhofer '89, one of Marx's students, Marx dedicated his time to teaching students instead of furthering his academic career through research.

Meyerhoffer also said that Marx was a strong advocate for gay and minority rights. "He was more free of prejudice than anyone I have met," Meyerhofer added.

Marx, raised in New York, served in Brazil for the Peace Corps in 1969 and 1970. He received a masters degree in city planning from the Harvard Graduate School of Design in 1973 and a doctorate in American history from Harvard in 1983.

A teacher at the Boston Architectural Center and occasional lecturer for the Graduate School of Design, Marx earned the Award for Excellence in teaching from the architectural center in 1977.

"He was willing to extend himself to others and help out," said David Leviatin, a lecturer in the history and literature department and a friend of Marx.

"He was the most affectionate, loving, funny, warm person that I have ever met. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about him," said Betty A. McNally, an administrator in the English department. McNally had been a Dunster House tutor from 1981 to 1988.

According to friends, Marx's interests included travel, architecture, photography, motor biking and reading. He had visited Europe 15 times and had written for Let's Go: Italy.

Marx's sister, Jane L. Marx, 44, of New York City, said, "He didn't really die, he lived in anyone he ever touched." Memorial services will be held at the Boston Architectural center on April 22.