Vellucci Asks Harvard for Books

Mayor Calls on Universities to Help End Textbook Shortage

By Brian R. Hecht

Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci last night called on Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) to donate collections of books to help alleviate a book shortage in the Cambridge public schools.

"What I think should happen is that in high school libraries, there should be an MIT section and a Harvard section, beautifully done in wood...with a 'Veritas' under it," Vellucci said.

Vellucci said that because Harvard's academic and dormitory buildings are tax-exempt, the University should donate something to the community. He said since Harvard saves money in taxes, "at least they can supply books."

Harvard already donates equipment to many area schools.

"We must provide kids with books so they can learn," said Vellucci, who represents East Cambridge. "You cannot learn without books. I'm not talking from the sidewalks of Harvard Squares. I'm talking from the sidewalks of East Cambridge," he added.

Vellucci proposed the donation at last night's City Council meeting after members of the school committee testified about a shortage of text and library books in the public schools.

Superintendant of Schools Mary Lou McGrath said that the schools would need approximately $250,000--in addition to their regular budget--to provide adequate textbooks and to fill libraries. McGrath added that the head librarian of the schools placed the cost at over $1 million.

Parents of children enrolled in the Morse Cambridge School also testified that the school's textbooks were dated. One parent read from a social studies book--currently in use--which urged students to prepare themselves for a time when people will walk on the moon.

Another parent displayed currently used 30-year-old chairs with broken seats and worn down legs.

Although councillors said they wanted to provide textbooks, some, including Councillor William H. Walsh, said additional money would not be available without a raise in city taxes.

Throughout the hearing, Walsh said that the funding for the new books might have to come from the school's current budget. He asked McGrath why only 2.3 percent of the budget is used to purchase books, while about 85 percent is devoted to personnel wages.

Fire Away

The council also discussed a proposal to set up a mayor's blue ribbon committee on hospitals composed of city officials, business representatives and members of educational institutions to look into the training of health professionals and ways to ensure "quality health care for all Cambridge citizens."

The council later held a hearing on the threat of fires in Cambridge. Stacie Marinelli, a tenant advocate, proposed a five point plan for preventing and coping with fires.

Marinelli said the City must investigate arsonmore rigorously, publicize statistics about thefrequency and location of fires and coordinate theprovision of services to homeless fire victims.

In other business, the council asked the cityclerk to prepare a resolution extending thecouncil's best wishes to outgoing AssociateVice-President for State and Community AffairsJacqueline D. O'Neill