Laxmen Nix B.C., 12-7; Raymond Nets 3 Goals

By Michael R. Grunwald

The Harvard men's lacrosse team braved all four elements in its 12-7 come-from-behind victory over Boston College last night.

Air. As in cold air. Which is what the air was like in icy Newton, Mass., last night.

Yet after Harvard's uninspired first-half performance, Crimson Coach Scott Anderson kept his squad outside while the Eagles took refuge in their heated locker room.

"When you play in bad conditions, you've got to face up to the conditions," Anderson said. "I wasn't trying to punish them."

Punishment may have been in order. The Eagles (2-3) dominated the first half, jumping out to a 4-0 lead before Crimson attackman Brad Raymond scored the first of his three goals five minutes before intermission.

"We just weren't into it in the beginning," said Crimson attackman Mickey Cavuoti, who picked up a goal and three assists before sustaining a third-period groin pull. "But we had enough composure to regroup. We really came out on fire in the second half."

Fire. As in catching fire. As in opening fire. Harvard (2-1, 0-1 Ivy) pulled out the heavy artillery after halftime, peppering shellshocked Eagle netminder Michael Holland with a barrage of 17 third-quarter shots.

Raymond began the assault, redirecting a gift-wrapped Perry Dodge pass to the back of the Eagle cage at 12:01. Four minutes later, Cavuoti bounced a backhand shot just under the crossbar. Senior midfielder Chris Garvey scored next, capping off 'a pretty spin move by slipping a low bouncer past Holland to tie the score.

"They were down early and they kept their composure," Boston College Coach Ed Moy said. "Once they realized it would be a fight, they got it together."

Water. As in the floodgates opening wide. As in goals pouring in from all sides.

With 5:18 remaining in the period, Dodge whipped a shot over Holland's shoulder to put the Crimson in front for the first time. Co-Captain Rob Griffith expanded the margin to two goals 23 seconds later, prompting Moy to call a time out.

Whatever advice he gave his weary troops, it wasn't very effective. Crimson face-off specialist Mark Donovan put the ball back in the Eagles' cage 10 seconds later.

Garvey added to the onslaught with 30 seconds remaining in the period, and Co-Captain Steve Lux added a fourth-quarter tally to give the Crimson nine unanswered goals.

"Coming off the Cornell loss [10-8 last Saturday], it was hard to get up for B.C. They're not really that good," Garvey said. "But then you get down four goals--it kind of wakes you up."

Earth. As in down to earth. As in where the Crimson has fallen after a recent Ivy loss at Cornell and this unspectacular victory over a weak Boston College squad.