Healy Agrees to Beef Up Patrols To Fight Growing Drug Problem In Columbia St. Neighborhood

By Kirsten L. Parkinson

City Manager Robert W. Healy agreed during a City Council hearing last night to increase police patrols near Columbia St. in mid-Cambridge in order to combat the neighborhood's growing drug problem.

For the time being, the new patrols will be staffed by the police officers on other shifts working overtime. Healy said that he could not hire new officers until students graduate from the city's police academy this summer.

City activists have repeatedly called for new foot patrols over the past year, arguing that the growing incidence of drug-related crime in Cambridge made increased protection essential. At last night's meeting, Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci said the situation had already exceeded acceptable limits in many city neighborhoods.

"we're talking about fear," said Vellucci. "The biggest problem in this city is fear."

Cambridge residents complained that they frequently see drug deals occurring in neighborhoods but that police patrols are infrequent or invisible visitors to the area.

"The things that are reported to me by people that live in that neighborhood is that they are being asked continuously if they would like to purchase drugs," said Councillor Francis H. Duehay '55.

Increased patrol is not the only answer, however, said Police Chief Anthony Paolillo.

"We know there's a problem in that area," said Paolillo. "We have to be sure we have probable cause before we can stop someone. Without violating some person's constitutional rights, I think we're being as aggressive as we can."

Paolillo said that the police force had made more than 60 arrests in the Columbia St. area over the past two months. But several councillors said the city might need outside help to deal with the drug problem.

"The fact that we don't publicize it [the drug problem] as a city makes it easy for people to come here and do their stuff," said Councillor Saundra M. Graham. "I think you now need to talk about whether the National Guard or some other drug enforcement agency should be called in to help you combat this problem."

My Kingdom for a Driveway

In a second hearing, the council voted to deny any application for a driveway for the proposed Domino's Pizza at the intersection of Broadway and Prospect St. in the hopes of discouraging the property's owners from developing a fast food business on the site.

"We want the owners to know that unless they change the building or turn it around, they will not get a driveway," said Graham.

Neighborhood residents had complained to the council that the development of the pizza delivery business would create an alarmingly dangerous traffic situation a the intersection as well as increased litter problems.

Robo-Councillor

In other business, the council appropriated $4325 to the Fire Department for purchasing a fire training robot.

The robot will be used to train firefighters about their responsibilities and to teach Cambridge children about fire safety.

Councillor Thomas W. Daneh quipped, "Mr. Mayor, do you think the day will come when there is a robot councillor?"

Money for the robot was donated by the Lotos Corporation of Cambridge.

The council also asked the city manager to urge officials at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) to donate a parcel of land to the Albany Street Alcoholic Center. The center is currently houses in a temporary shelter on land owned by MIT, but that site is threatened by university development.