Police Arrest Man at Adams House Party

Cambridge Resident Allegedly Took Keg, Is Charged With Disorderly Conduct

A Cambridge man was arrested at an Adams House party early Saturday morning for disorderly conduct after allegedly harassing a Harvard student and attempting to steal a keg of beer, witnesses said.

David M. Bailey, 22, was arrested around 2 a.m. Saturday by Harvard Police. A Cambridge District Court judge released Bailey yesterday without a legal finding and fined him $75 for court fees, a clerk said, clearing Bailey of any criminal wrongdoing.

Harvard police confirmed the arrest yesterday but had no information about the alleged theft or harassment.

According to Deputy Chief Jack W. Morse, Bailey was arrested after surprising a police officer from behind and pushing him against a wall at the party. Two officers had responded to calls about a disturbance from an Adams security guard.

Witnesses said Bailey was one of about five uninvited men who disrupted the Adams party, held to celebrate a house member's birthday.

One of the men, who apparently do not attend the College, earlier in the night had made "excessive gestures" towards an Adams House woman and engaged in a verbal exchange with another guest, said a sophomore, who asked not to be identified.

The sophomore said that he and one of his friends had asked the unidentified Harvard guard to intervene, but the guard said it was unnecessary. The guard could not be reached for comment.

According to the witness, Bailey and another man then left the party with a keg, announcing, "Don't worry about your keg... we'll even bring the tap back if you're lucky."

The non-Harvard men "were getting loud" because of alcohol, one witness said.

Police arrived on the scene shortly afterward in response to the guard's notices. Witnesses said the two men had returned to the party by that time with the keg after traveling a few blocks. It is unclear whether they did so voluntarily or because of police.

In the ensuing confrontation, Bailey had the alleged altercation with the officer.

One of the five uninvited guests shouted at the sophomore witness on his way out, "Even with your $6000, you don't show us anything," referring to the Harvard tuition fee, the witness said.