Pre-School Kids Invade B-School for Festival

By Chip Cummins

"Why did the chicken cross the road?" six-year-old Billy Wallace asked his audience. "To get to the other side, of course."

It might not be the most original joke in stand-up comedy, but it drew hysterical laughter Saturday afternoon at the Business School when the South Boston pre-schooler told it to 600 children during the second annual "Boston Happening," a day-long festival sponsored by the Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston.

Wallace, along with a host of clowns, sequin-clad dancers and several very young singers and comedians, performed for the children in Burden Auditorium and then joined his friends for a parade to a carnival in Bright Hockey Center.

B-School students who volunteer for tutoring programs at several of the clubs throughout Boston came up with the idea to hold this year's festivities at Harvard, said David H. Rutley, a second-year student and an organizer of the day-long affair.

Nick Clark, a first-year student who volunteered at the event, said it was aimed at giving the children a chance to "belong, play, learn, grow and discover," but he added that the real objective was a good time. "It's good fun, that's why everyone is here," he said.

The show in Burden included music by a local radio station, two professional dance groups and a number of acts by children in the clubs. Later in the day, Spunky T. Clown, Smokey the Bear and Alexander the Jester entertained the kids in Bright, which was filled with balloons, game booths and a tricycle obstacle course.

"The kids had a wonderful time," said Phyllis Leonard, director of education at the Roxbury club. "I think they learned that people cared about them, and I think they appreciated seeing the [business school] volunteers from the club."