Babbitt Criticizes Political Process

1988 Democratic presidential hopeful Bruce Babbitt said last night that the American political process has degenerated and blamed the values of the Reagan Administration for the decline.

The former Arizona governor told an audience of about 140 people in Leverett House dining hall that he felt there was a "lack of meaning in the campaign of 1988."

"The political process isn't really performing, it's not challenging the American people," Babbitt said. Babbitt also said that former president Ronald W. Reagan has convinced the American public that government is the enemy, leading people to depart public office for the "highercalling" of more lucrative private employment.

During his three-hour visit, Babbitt, a 1965Law School graduate, relayed experiencesencountered during the 1988 campaign that led tohis disillusionment about politics.

In one instance on the second day of hiscampaign, Babbitt recalled, a reporter asked himif he would rather be reincarnated as a bird or ananimal. Later, reporters tried to discover who hedated in high school, he said.

The press centered its attention only upontrivial affairs throughout the race, Babbitt said.

"None of the large issues confronting us werediscussed in any way, shape, or form," said thespeaker. "There was a silent, passive conspiracyto avoid asking tough questions about politicalpolicy."

Babbitt said he blamed American leaders and thepublic for the problem. "The American society is alittle complacent," he said.

The former governor said he felt that in eightyears under Reagan, Americans increasinglyidentify success with personal economic gain overmore egalitarian values.

"People don't believe in political service,there is a burning desire to be rich," Babbittsaid. He added, "We live in a culture where theidea of public service and community is just notenough."

"American government officials encourage thebelief that America is the exact sum-total ofindividual aspirations," he said.

Babbitt said social Darwinism has become "afact of life," and that concentration on financialcompetitiveness has led to too much emphasis onshort-term goals.

The situation is not totally hopeless, however,Babbitt said. Globally, "an extraordinary changedriven by the ascendency of American values" isoccurring. He cited the growth of Asiandemocracies and the spread of liberal economicprinciples as an example.

Asked whether he would run again for president,Babbitt said, "I want to kind of just settle intothe landscape and be a private citizen for awhile." Since his withdrawal from the 1988 race,Babbitt has practiced at a Tucson, Ariz., lawfirm.

In response to another query, Babbitt said hethought Rep. Richard Gephardt (D-Mo.) and Rev.Jessie Jackson would run again. He predicted thatupcoming presidential elections will be "morechaotic than in 1988."

Some audience members said they consideredBabbitt's speech unsubstantive. "I thought he waslike a boat," said David H. Schanzer '85 and a LawSchool student, "his conversation drifted andwandered." He added, "I expected he would reflecton the political process but instead he continuedto talk like a politician."

Babbitt, scheduled to meet several professorsand undergraduates yesterday, was forced to cancelmost appearances because of travel delays due tofog