Young Selected Hockey Captain

By Jennifer M. Frey

It came as no surprise that when the Harvard hockey team voted for its 1989-90 captain earlier this week, C.J. Young finished first in the polls.

Young, a junior from Waban, Mass., led the national-champion Crimson in goals scored (33) this year while playing on Harvard's first line with senior Allen Bourbeau and Captain Lane MacDonald, and he has been a Crimson standout throughout his three-year career.

"I'm thrilled to be elected by my teammates," Young said. "For me, that is a great honor. I have a lot of respect for the players on our team."

Following in MacDonald's footsteps--the Hobey Baker winner earned nationwide respect for his hockey ability and leadership qualities this season--will be no easy task, but Young stands out as the natural successor to the position.

"Lane's done a hell of a job this year," Young said. "Hopefully I've picked up a little from him, living in the same room and everything."

And Young has already picked up one trait from his linemate and roommate...sharing the spotlight with all members of the Crimson contingent.

"It's a great feeling," Young said. "Everything seems to have worked out for the whole team this year. We won the Beanpot, which doesn't happen very often, and the Ivy League title and then the national championship."

Young finished the 1988-89 season third on the Crimson leading scoring list with 55 points--including a five-point performance against Dartmouth in December, when he established a national record with three shorthanded goals in 49 seconds.