Civic Group Backs Candidates

CCA Kicks Off Campaign for City Council Majority

By Steve Hopchick

The Cambridge Civic Association (CCA) yesterday endorsed eight candidates for City Council, kicking off its campaign for a council majority--which it has not held since 1973.

The group has pledged to support incumbents Francis H. Duehay '55 and Alice K. Wolf; city Democratic Committee chair Esther Hanig; former School Committee members Rena Leib; and past candidates Jonathan Myers, Kenneth E. Reeves '72, Renae Scott and John St. George '70.

The CCA platform calls for "good government" and backs the current version of the rent control law. Its members on the Council have also opposed many large commercial developments.

CCA members now hold four of the council's nine seats. But the party hopes to capture a fifth in a race made particularly uncertain by the retirement of three long time incumbents. Two of these, David E. Sullivan and Saundra M. Graham, are CCA members, while the third, Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci, is a strong CCA ally on rent control.

Facing the CCA members are four incumbents and many more hopefuls given the label of Independents. Generally more traditional, with more ties to business and development, the Independents share a general political philosophy but not a party structure. Vellucci, bowing out of city politics in his 38th year, is one of the few Independents who supports rent control.

"There are an array of issues," said Reeves, who last ran in the '85 election. "The most pressing will be the issue of the uncontrolled development of the city and the potential importance of Proposition 1-2-3."

Proposition 1-2-3, a binding referendum put on the ballot by a coalition of realtors and homeowners, has drawn strong opposition from CCA members. The measure's chief provision would allow tenants in rent-controlled apartments to buy their units as condominiums after living there for two years. Such purchases are now prohibited.

Opponents of Proposition 1-2-3 argue that it would remove rent-controlled units from the market and encourage landlords to rent to wealthier tenants. "1-2-3 has the possibility of a dramatic and immediate impact on who can afford to live in the city," said Reeves.

Leib served on the school committee from 1984-86 and chaired the Coalition for Cambridge, which campaigned to override the Proposition 2-1/2 tax cap. She said she is active on the Tax Equity Alliance of Massachussettes (TEAM), which supports fairer taxes.

She agreed that Proposition 1-2-3 would become a key issue. "It could really reduce affordable housing," she said. Leib said she also supported rent control to sustain affordable housing.

On commercial development, a perennial issue in city elections, Leib said, "I'm not opposed to all development. But there must be limits so that they don't overtake the city."

Myers, who lost a seat by a few hundred votes in last year's election, said he also considers rent control and development central issues to the election.

"One problem is overdevelopment," he said. "We as a community need to build more affordable housing and slow the growth of luxury commercial buildings...It's necessary to defeat propostion 1-2-3 because [rent control] provides protection for the elderly and poor."

In addition to rent control and development, incumbent Wolf saw city finances as a serious problem to be addressed in the election. She said the federal government has left too many human services to the city, creating pressure for higher revenues.

Leib stressed the same problem, saying, "There is a problem with money. We need lobbying for funding at the statewide and federal levels." She recalled her fight against Proposition 2-1/2, which limited city revenues from property taxes.

The former School Committee member said she was especially interested in increasing revenues because of her concerns for child care and single parents' issues. "We should provide incentives for businesses to open up child care centers," she added.

A few candidates said the question of clean government might fade in comparison to other campaign issues. But Myers said "The issue of the accountability of government will come up. Right now, it has become quite distant from the people. City government has been more willing to stand with real estate interests than neighborhood groups...We must protect the neighborhoods."

This year, the city appears to be at a cross roads on these issues with three CCA incumbent seats up for grabs. "Clearly rent control is going to be a key issue," said Hanig. "With three rent control incumbents not seeking re-election, rent control will be a key issue. Development is also a key issue. People are worried about preserving their neighborhoods."

These circumstances have made the campaign more intense and longer than in the past, candidates said. "Apparently campaigning has already started," said Wolf. "It is earlier than ever."