There Ain't No Cure for the Summertime News

While You Were Away...

By Michael Stankiewicz

Summer has always been a time for Harvard students and administrators to get away from the academic environment of the University campus in Cambridge. But while many members of the Harvard athletic community were enjoying different experiences and fine-tuning their skills for the upcoming 1989-90 seasons, there was still plenty of news emanating from the Crimson teams.

When the end of the school year rolled around in May, members of the Harvard community were still flying high over the men's hockey team's NCAA title in April. But another national championship--one that has become all too common this decade--would soon belong to the Crimson.

The men's heavyweight crew, considered one of legendary Coach Harry Parker's best, pulled past Northeastern and Penn at the 1000-meter mark of the Herschede Cup in Cincinnati June 17 to win its third-straight national title and fifth in seven years. Harvard sprinted to a 2.43-second win over the University of Washington, which had also raced past the Huskies and Quakers to finish second. Northeastern finished third, Penn fourth, Wisconsin fifth and UCLA sixth.

Also in Cincinnati, a Harvard boat comprised of four members of the JV heavyweight boat--Donald Fawcett, George Henry, Elliott Smith, Chris Swan and cox Christine Cozadd--won the national four with coxswain title by outlasting a Wisconsin scull.

The excitement, however, was just beginning for the Crimson heavy weight crew of bow Curt Pieckenhagen, Captain Joe Harvey, Hugh Evans, Jon Bernstein, Peter Sharis, Jack Rusher, Phil Schuller, John Amory and coxswain Travis Metz.

Harvard advanced to the finals of the Ladies' Plate in Henley, England, before succumbing to Nottinghamshire County July 2 by two-thirds of a length. Nottinghamshire's time of 6:11 set a Ladies' Plate record, breaking the old record established the day before by the Crimson in its semifinal win over Penn.

Nottinghamshire had beaten Harvard earlier by five lengths in the first running of the final, but a controversial protest by Parker was upheld because a one foot-long piece of wood had jammed on a fin on the underside of the Crimson shell.

"I don't think I have seen anything quite like that before. It was unbelievable," Parker said.

Ron Needs, one of Britain's national coaches, was infuriated with the decision to replay the race.

"Physically and psychologically, we prepared our crew for one race," Needs said, "and by the time the incident Harvard complained of actually occurred, there was clear water between the boats. We had demonstrated our superiority."

Harvard's heavies also finished second in exhibition races in France in August. Returning for Parker next year will be Bernstein as captain, Sharis, Evans and Metz.

The Crimson men's lightweight crew didn't have as much success this summer. Harvard, which had swept Yale and Princeton twice during the regular season, fell to both squads at the national championships June 11 in Albany. The lights, missing sevenseat Ted Marple because of an arm problem, finished 2.2 seconds behind the Tigers.

The lights also set a Henley record, establishing a new standard for the Thames Cup in its second-round win, but they were upset by Williams College in the following round.

The Harvard women's crew program garnered its first national title June 4 when the novice heavyweights concluded their undefeated season with a six-second win over Wisconsin at the Women's Collegiate Nationals in Madison, Wis.

While the crew programs were busy racking up national championships, the men's ice hockey program continued to make news off the ice.

Harvard's 1989 Hobey Baker winner, Lane MacDonald, decided in June to turn down the NHL's Hartford Whalers and play professionally with a team in Lugano, Switzerland. By deciding to play the faster-skating style of hockey in Europe, MacDonald retained his eligibility for the 1992 Olympic team, which, coincidentally, could be coached by Harvard's Bill Cleary.

Four players of this year's Crimson squad were chosen in the NHL's June draft, bringing the number of Harvard skaters whose rights are owned by an NHL team to 18.

Prize recruit Ted Drury became the highest-drafted player in Harvard history even before lacing up his skates for the Crimson. Drury was chosen in the second round by the Calgary Flames.

Goalie Allain Roy was selected in the fourth round by the Winnipeg Jets, defenseman Kevin Sneddon was chosen by the Los Angeles Kings in the 12th round, while Captain C.J. Young became a first-round supplemental draft choice of the New Jersey Devils.

The worst news of the off-season for Cleary and the Crimson was the disciplinary action against Ed Krayer, who scored the winning goal in the NCAA final, and Ted Donato, the MVP of the NCAA tournament.

Krayer was asked by the Administrative Board to take a two-year leave of absence from the University for academic reasons. Drafted by the Devils in 1985, Krayer plans to attempt a career in the NHL before eventually returning to Harvard to complete his education.

"It has always been my ambitiion to play professional hockey and hopefully my NCAA playoff performance will earn me an opportunity with a pro team," said Krayer, who lost his remaining collegiate eligibility.

Donato was suspended until December 1 by the Ad Board for an incident at the Lampoon on April 21 in which a female undergraduate was allegedly injured by Donato. The junior forward plans to appeal to the Ad Board for permission to practice and play with the squad before December 1.

Former Harvard running back Tony Hinz '89 backed his way on to an NFL roster when a knee injury forced the Patriots to place him on injured reserve last month. The move allows the Patriots to retain Hinz's rights throughout the season, but also makes Hinz ineligible to join the active roster until next year.

Hinz, who was drafted in the 11th round in 1989 by the Patriots, signed a contract "equivalent to that of a high eight-round choice," according to M.J. Duberstein, director of research of the NFL Players' Association.

Hinz is best known for the role he played in helping Harvard win the 1987 Ivy League championship. The Montana native rushed for 162 yards in sub-zero temperatures and scored both Crimson touchdowns in Harvard's title-clinching 14-10 win over the Elis at Yale Bowl.

But while Harvard athletes were making news on and off the field this summer, the administrative situation at the Department of Athletics remains murky. No successor has been named for Athletic Director Jack Reardon, who resigned his post in April. According to Dean of the Faculty A. Michael Spence, a search committee finally will be announced soon.

In the Sports Information Department, former Boston University Assistant SID John Veneziano replaced Frank Cicero as the Director of Sports Information. His staff was filled out with the appointment of ECAC intern Tim Bonang, who joins Julie Rice as an Assistant Sports Information Director.

Finally, Jeff Musselman '85, the 1985 Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League Pitcher of the Year, was traded from the Toronto Blue Jays to the New York Mets in August. The former Harvard ace, who completed an alcohol rehabilitation program this year, is currently 3-2 with a 3.38 ERA in 16 innings pitched for the Mets.