Prop 1-2-3 Foes Blast 'Misleading' Slogan

Opponents Say 'Vote for Choice' Ad Confuses Referendum With Abortion Issue

By Brian R. Hecht

The battle over a controversial ballot referendum authorizing the city to sell rent-controlled housing to tenants took a bitter turn last week as opponents of the proposition accused supporters of deceiving voters once again.

Representatives of a coalition of women's rights advocates, abortion rights activists and opponents to the referendum--known as Prposition 1-2-3--said at a news conference last week that 1-2-3 backers are using the slogan "Vote for Choice" to intentionally trick voters into confusing the proposition with abortion rights.

"The phrase is clearly meant to catch the attention of the majority in Cambridge who are pro-choice on the abortion issue," said Vice Mayor Alice K. Wolf, who opposes the proposition, adding, "The scam is fully in keeping with the ballot question itself."

Supporters of Proposition 1-2-3 have claimed it would give thousands of city residents an opportunity to buy homes they otherwise could not afford by allowing tenants who have lived in rent-controlled housing for more than two years to purchase their apartments.

But opponents say Proposition 1-2-3 would dangerously deplete the supply of affordable housing in Cambridge. And some say the measure's wording is deliberately confusing to voters.

Last year, petitioners seeking to put the proposition on the ballot were also accused of using misleading tactics to get petition signatures.

"As a woman, I am insulted and feel abused by this cynical use of 'choice' as the latest, slickest and most misleading marketing trick on the part of the pro 1-2-3 forces," said Stephanie A. Gramolini, president of the good-government Cambridge Civic Association. "Make no mistake about it, the only choice that 1-2-3 offers is the opportunity for increased profits for the real estate industry," she added.

Backers of 1-2-3, however, said this week that the slogan is not intended to deceive voters, saying the reference to the abortion issue is aimed at making the public think about what choices they should make for themselves.

Cambridge realtor and Proposition 1-2-3 author Frederick R. Meyer said Rosemary D. White of the Cambridge Homeownership Association (CHOA) conceived of the slogan because "we need to get people thinking about what we allow choices for and what we don't."

Meyer said he believed the rationale underlying abortion rights resembles that for justifying 1-2-3's passage.

"What is our list of crimes in Cambridge?" Meyer asked. "Buying drugs? Having an abortion? Owning a home?"

Participants at the press conference said the "Vote for Choice" slogan is particularly offensive because it equates abortion rights and Proposition 1-2-3, even though women--presumably the targets of the campaign-would be most hurt if the referendum caused the supply of rentcontrolled apartments to shrink.

"Proposition 1-2-3 is an outright assault on women's economic security," said Jennifer Jackman, president of the Massachusetts chapter of National Organization for Women (NOW).

"By undermining rent control and the availability of affordable housing in our city, Proposition 1-2-3 hurts women and severely circumscribes our `choices' about where and how to live," Jackman added.

But Meyer said the referendum would give poor people a shot at the "American dream" by offering them the opportunity to buy a home.

"How is a poor woman of color to get ahead in life if she can't buy her own home?" Meyer said. "When in Cambridge, you can't buy your own apartment, you're preventing people from the American way of saving."

Opponents also said they thought the "Vote for Choice" phrase is aimed at enlisting the support of women who are pro-choice but who would ordinarily oppose 1-2-3.

And Jackman said 1-2-3 leaders like City Councillor William H. Walsh are actually opposed to abortion.

On Both Sides

Meyer said that he and White are both pro-choice. "Obviously there are people who favor 1-2-3 on both sides of the [abortion] issue," he added.