Getman Looks at New Offense

Soccer Notebook

By Tom Kane

The guns are there. They just haven't been loaded yet.

So it goes with the Harvard men's soccer team, which has scored four goals in its first five games and been shut out in its three losses.

Coach Mike Getman might have a plan, though, which will get the Crimson (2-3 overall, 0-2 Ivy) shooting straight.

"We're always looking to see if we can improve our play," Getman said. "We have not made any decision yet."

Getman's possible ploy includes bringing junior sweeper Brian Enge up to midfield and to have junior midfielder Jeremy Amen, who scored five goals last year, play the forward position. Lenny Ilkanoff would move back to midfield.

The Crimson would deploy a 3-5-2 look instead of the present 3-4-3. The move is designed to take advantage of Amen's skill at holding the ball and to create a more offensively oriented squad.

"We're looking for ways to increase our offensive production," Captain John Shue said. "The biggest challenge for this team right now is to demand more from ourselves. I think this team is better than it thinks it is."

Goal of the Week: It's a toss-up. Aesthetically, it would have to go to Alex Estevez's score against UNH Thursday. Estevez barrelled over a defender in an effort to get to the ball and then, with his leg completely outstreched and his body nearly parallel to the ground, booted the ball past the extended arm of diving UNH goaltender John Leader.

But Ilkanoffs celebration after his score in the first half of the UNH victory keeps him in the running. With the game deadlocked at zero Ilkanoff broke the tie. After scoring, Ilkanoff realized that it was his first goal in his three years of play at Harvard. The junior back dropped to the ground and rolled around, exclaiming, "It's my first goal, my first one."

This week, it goes to Estevez.

Big Red: Harvard hosts Cornell Saturdayand will try to break its winless Ivy leaguerecord.

"I think there is renewed optimism," Shue said."I predict a good result for the Crimson."

Eight days without a break from practice orcompetition had the Crimson hurting a little.

"The bones are feeling it a bit," Shue said."[Tuesday's day off gave] us a much needed rest.