Peninsula Diversity

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I am writing this letter to correct a statement made by John D. Staines ("A Liberal in a Conservative Church, November 14). In this article, Staines writes that "Liberal acquaintances...cannot fathom why I associate myself with the church of Peninsula.

Staines is implying that Peninsula is in some way associated with the Catholic Church, which is a totally fallacious assertion. Peninsula has never never, nor will it ever, espouse the teachings of any particular church or religion. To try establish such a connection is a sign of sloppy journalism.

Had Staines investigated the matter, he would have discovered that there are represented on the Peninsula staff individuals of several different religious persuasions including Baptists, Anglicans, Catholics and even several people who are agnostic in their belief.

Peninsula exists to provide a conservative voice on the Harvard campus. While we do not shy away from discussing religious issues, we are not by definition a journal of Catholic, Christian or even religious opinion. Religion is but one of many facets of conservatism that we examine, and will continue to examine, in our publication. Charles L. Shaw '92   Council Member Peninsula