Plane to Research Ozone Layer

Harvard Professor Is Working on New Study of Atmosphere

By David G. Zermeno

A Harvard professor is part of a partnership which will send an unmanned plane through the hole in the ozone layer to record levels of ozone depletion some time in the next few years.

Weld Professor of Atmospheric Chemistry James Anderson, who has been working on the project since last year, said he thinks successful operation of the plane will measurably speed atmospheric research and enable scientists to better determine options for controlling ozone depletion.

Anderson and the plane's architect, John Landford, who is the president of Aurora Flight Sciences, said they hope to send the plane through the ozone layer in August 1992.

Landford, a former director of the Massacusetts Institute of Technology's innovative Daedalus Project, developed a human-powered aircraft that flew record-breaking distances over the Greek islands Crete and Santorini.

By combining Landford's aeronautical know-how with the atmospheric research which is Anderson's specialty, the Harvard professor said the team has found "a match made in heaven."

Global Warming

"I'm really excited," said Langford, "It's a fantastic way to apply advanced technology that came out of Daedalus to a problem that has tremendous relevence."

The plane, called the "Perseus," is expected to give University researchers new information on the ozone depletion level and its correlation to such things as climate changes and global warming.

Revolutionary

"Perseus" is an innovative device in atmospheric research efforts because it is light and will travel as high as 85,000 feet in the stratosphere, whereas manned planes are not able to go beyond 68,000 feet. The plane is also considered more efficient for the project because it can travel for longer periods than piloted planes.

"I think it's going to revolutionize everything we do," Anderson said. "Once these aircrafts are up and functioning on a global basis, I think we will be able to do thirty years of research in five years."