First-Years Form UC Caucus

Committee to Address Winter Formal, Academic Advising

By Jerome J. Chou, Contributing Reporter

Undergraduate Council members from the Class of '96 have formed a "Freshman Caucus" within the council to improve representation of first-year students.

The 21 first-years on the council said they hope the new organization will allow them to meet directly with first-year students and identify their specific needs.

"I'm really excited about it," said caucus member Cynthia D. Johnson '96. "It will be a chance for us to meet in an informal setting and address issues about first-years...that may not be on the top of the U.C. agenda," she said.

Susan F. Lee '96 said the caucus has not finalized its agenda but plans to organize a winter formal and address issues such as the conversion of Memorial Hall to a student center and the quality of academic advising.

Lee also said upperclass representatives have pledged their support for the caucus. "They're very gung-ho about the idea," she said.

Dean of Freshmen Elizabeth S. Nathans, who will work closely with the caucus, says she is optimistic about the fledgling group's potential.

"I don't intend for this to be window dressing," said Nathans in an interview yesterday. "I expect they will take an active role and not simply meet and talk."

Caucus members hope the group will improve the council's tarnished image by showcasing "up and coming U.C. members as people who can get things done and not be at each other's throats," according to Sourav Goswami '96.

"We know that this whole thing is up to us. We have to take the initiative," said Amanda D. Weinberg '96.