Rudenstine Among Boston's Sexiest Men

By Ira E. Stoll, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard President Neil L. "Sexy" Rudenstine?

That's the way it is, according to Boston Magazine, which in its December issue names Rudenstine as one of Boston's ten sexiest men.

And while the top-secret search committee that selected Rudenstine probably didn't have sex appeal as a top criterion, strange things have happened since the new president has come to town.

"Women all over Boston have fallen for Harvard president Neil Rudenstine," Boston Magazine gushes. "The women praised Rudenstine for his intelligence, his warmth, his genuineness and 'a smile that could make your knees buckle."

After listing Rudenstine's height (five feet, nine inches), weight (155 pounds) and car (1985 Ford Tem- po), the magazine reports Rudenstine'sself-deprecating reaction to the honor.

"I have always read Boston Magazine with realinterest, and had the greatest confidence in theaccuracy and reliability of its reporting,"Rudenstine said. "But this particular finding hasdeeply shaken my confidence. Or maybe there aretwo Neil Rudenstines".

Rudenstine--the sexy one--is in the company ofsuch virile studmuffins as Boston Ballet starPatrick Armand, Boston Celtics player RobertParish and state treasurer Joseph D. Malone '78.

Boston Magazine asserts the Harvard president"has to be the Bay State's best-liked man." Butthe magazine may well have gone to press beforethe University's labor relations went sour, orbefore former Weld professor of Law Derrick A.Bell Jr. charged--in the course of protestingminority hiring practices at Harvard LawSchool--that Rudenstine was, in essence, more ofthe Bad Old Harvard.

Kris Rondeau, an organizer for the HarvardUnion of Clerical and Technical Workers, said ofRudenstine, "He's charming at first, but hedoesn't follow through in the relationship."

Boston Magazine also named the ten smartestpeople in Boston. While Rudenstine didn't makethat list, three other Harvard professorsdid--Loeb University Professor Walter Gilbert '53,Professor of Sociology Orlando Patterson andPorter University Professor Helen H. Vendler