Icewomen Gear for Weekend

Crimson Visits Yale, Gets Rematch Against St. Laurent

By Darren Kilfara, Contributing Reporter

The Harvard women's hockey team can finally see the light at the end of its early-season tunnel.

But the question is: is it the light of an onrushing freight train?

In the first of its two games this weekend, the Crimson (1-3-0) will complete its season-opening five-game road series in New Haven against a rather weak Yale squad.

The long-awaited return to Bright Hockey Center tomorrow, though, must come against Canadian powerhouse St. Laurent. Already 2-0 losers to St. Laurent earlier this year in Montreal, Harvard "needs to generate some more offense" to compete, according to senior Co-Captain Kim Landry.

All Eyes on Elis

Right now, all eyes are upon the Elis. For a Crimson team that has had trouble scoring--only one goal total in its three losses to Providence, St. Laurent and New Hampshire--the chance to play a traditionally-weak Yale team should give the offense a chance to crank up.

"We'll use Yale as an opportunity to play everybody," Coach John Dooley said. "Hopefully, everybody will learn something and have some fun."

A deadly serious junior Co-Captain Joey Alissi views the game somewhat differently. "This is a must-win game," Alissi said. "We're starting to get a little sick of losing."

Landry agrees: "Even though Yale is not traditionally very strong, they have gotten stronger every year that we have played them, and you can't ever take anything for granted."

Dooley is concerned about being overconfident, but he sees both of the weekend games in the larger scope of things--as preludes to a big game against Brown Tuesday night in Providence.

"Brown is the team to beat in the Ivies this year," Dooley said. "This weekend is a very good chance for us to prepare for the trip to Providence."

St. Laurent should certainly be the tougher challenge of the two weekend games for the Crimson, even with the home-ice advantage. Harvard played exceptionally well in the earlier 2-0 loss, with sophomore goalie Erin Villiotte turning in a sparkling performance to keep the game close.

And playing St. Laurent in the second of two games on back-to-back days won't help. "They are a very tough, physical team," said Landry.

With Harvard's thin roster, a hard-hitting game can't help the Crimson's endurance.

Win the Title

But as Dooley stressed before the season started, the extended goal of the Crimson is to win the Ivy League title, and playing teams of St. Laurent's caliber can only help.

"This is probably the toughest schedule that any Harvard team has ever played," Dooley said. "And you don't get any better by playing the weaker teams."