Ten 'Protest' Gould's Class

Jesters Mock CCH

By Carolyn B. Rendell, Contributing Reporter

Ten students staged a satiric counterprotest yesterday against Concerned Christians at Harvard (CCH), a group which is calling for the removal of the Rev. Peter J. Gomes as minister of Memorial Church.

Calling themselves Fundamentalists Against Gould Science, the students held candles and distributed leaflets outside of Science B-16, "History of Earth and of Life," which is taught by Professor of Geology and Aggasiz Professor Zoology of Stephen J. Gould.

The students called for Gould's resignation, describing him in the leaflet as a professor "who teaches evolution, a mere theory, which is nonetheless contrary to biblical teaching."

They held witty sings with slogans such as, "Fossils. Not," and "Gomes out, Gould out too."

And the leaflet equated "Gould's lack of respect for Christian values" to the Rev. Gomes' homosexuality, both "non-Christian, unacceptable modes of behavior."

Adam D. Feldman '95, one of the participants, said the protest was spurred by serious objections to CCH, which was launched last week solely to lobby for Gomes' resignation. The candle light vigil Monday was the group'sfirst event.

"We find CCH so obtuse as to be ridiculous,"Feldman said. "Their limited and hypocriticalreading of the Bible is contrary to both theacademic and religious spirit at Harvard."

Gould, who came out to the front of ScienceCenter B to quiet the students before his lecture,nonetheless said he supported their cause.

"They are protesting against intolerance, andone of the classical instances of intoleranceinvolves evolutionary theory," Gould said in aninterview after class.

"I approve of what they said and I support it,"Gould said