Netwomen Split Weekend Matches

Crimson Upsets Second-Ranked Virginia Saturday, but Falls to W&M Yesterday

By Ted G. Rose, Crimson Staff Writer

After hosting the two top women's tennis teams in the East region this weekend, Harvard's squad really can't argue that it is the best team in the East.

But the Crimson sure could present a strong case for number two.

Harvard (5-8) dropped a 7-1 decision to the top team in the East, William and Mary yesterday, but that was after the team had already registered a 5-4 upset of second-ranked Virginia on Saturday.

"That was a very exciting win for us," Harvard Coach Gordon Graham said about the victory over Virginia. "Those guys were number two in the East and we beat them. That proves to me we belong there."

There has been a bright side to this cold spring weather for the women's tennis team. The frigid temperatures pushed Harvard's weekend matches into the Beren Tennis Center.

Playing this weekend's matches indoors was a serious advantage for the Crimson, which practices for most of the year inside.

"Even though we spent last week playing outdoors in California, we're obviously much more comfortable indoors," Graham said. "It probably did have a significant impact."

The Crimson and the Cavaliers split the singles matches on Saturday with freshman Erika deLone, currently ranked fourth in the nation by the Intercollegiate Tennis Coaches Association (ITCA), and sophomore Eliza Parker picking up straight set wins in the one and four spots.

But it was senior Kim Cooper, playing at number three, who turned in the closest singles win of the day. Cooper jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the first set, but Virginia's Karen Kerr broke back twice and held her service games to tie the set at 5-5.

Cooper held on to win that set, 7-5. After dropping the second set 1-6 to Kerr, Cooper came back in the third to win 6-1.

"She got blitzed in that second set," Graham said, "but she showed great confidence and composure to come back in the third."

In doubles, Harvard's number one combination of the Erikas' (deLone and Elmuts) got by their competition 7-5,6-2, and the number three pair of sophomore Melissa McNabb and junior Rachel Pollack won an unexpectedly close match 6-1, 4-6, 6-4.

A combination of better opponents and worse play did in Harvard against William and Mary yesterday.

DeLone was the only singles player who managed to win her match. She knocked off nemesis Tribe freshman Julie Shiftlet in straight sets, 6-2, 7-5.

Aside from deLone's win, Harvard managed to win only one set from William and Mary in singles play. That came off the racket of the Crimson's number two player, Elmuts, who fell in three sets to Karen Gallego (ranked 52nd by the ITCA.) HARVARD, 5-4 at Beren Tennis Center SATURDAY AFTERNOON

Singles

1. DeLone (Harvard) def. Callen (Virginia), 6-3, 6-2; 2. Schofield (V) def. Elmuts (H), 6-2, 6-4; 3. Cooper (H) def. Kerr (V), 7-5, 1-6, 6-1; 4. Parker (H) def. Holden (V), 6-1, 6-4; 5. D'Angio (V) def. Harris (H), 6-4, 6-1; 6. Kepler (V) def. Passent (H), 6-0, 6-0.

Doubles

1. DeLone/Elmuts (H) def. Callen/Kepler (V), 7-5, 6-2; 2. Schofield/Kerr (V) def. Parker/Passent (H), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1; 3. McNabb/Pollack (H) def. Holden/Wright (V), 6-1, 4-6, 6-4. WILLIAM AND MARY, 8-1 at Tennis Court SUNDAY AFTERNOON

Singles

1. DeLone (Harvard) def. Shiflet (William & Mary), 6-2, 7-5; 2. Gallego (W) def. Elmuts (H), 6-4, 3-6, 6-0; 3. Van de Merwe (W) def. Cooper (H), 6-1, 7-6; 4. Mair (W) def. Parker (H), 7-6, 6-4; 5. Herring (W) def. Passent (H), 7-6, 6-1; 6. Guenter (W) def. Harris (H), 6-4, 6-1.

Doubles

1. Mair/Van de Merwe (W) def. de Lone/Elmuts (H), 7-6, 6-3; 2. Shiftlet/Guenter (W) def. Parker/Passent (H), 6-1, 6-4; 3. Herring/Siegal (W) def. Harris/Pollack, 6-2, 6-2.