New Journal Features Fiction, Book Reviews

By Molly B. Confer, Crimson Staff Writer

The fine print of an editor's note in the debut issue of the Harvard Review wryly states that the journal is not available in "microfilm, fiche, CD-ROM or cranial implant."

But Harvard's newest literary magazine will be within reach at local bookstores and by subscription. The descendent of a smaller publication called the Errato Harvard Book Review, the journal has expanded to become "a full-fledged literary magazine, and an innovative one at that," said Stratis Haviaris, editor of the review and curator of the Woodberry Poetry Room in Lamont Library.

"I thought that there was a great need because of all the preparatory work I'd done for the Book Review," he said. Working with that publication showed Haviaris the "great and abundant gifts and desire to be involved" among the literary community, and he felt "compelled to expand the format to accommodate the energies" of those writers, he said.

Featuring letters from literary figures abroad in addition to poems, short fiction and book reviews, the premiere Spring 1992 issue has been well-received, Haviaris reports. Yet he expects the review, which will be published three times a year, to grow, he said. It will take a few issues before the magazine's "personality and character"develops, he said.

And it will take some time before money is nolonger a concern. "Money's always a problem,"Haviaris said. "We have to scrape, pass the hat,and apply for grants."

The spring issue is supported in part by grantsfrom the National Endowment for the Arts, theBerner Foundation and Corliss Lamont '24.

"Within three years we will be in a very goodposition to plan without worrying about moneyconstantly," said Haviaris.

Dean of Continuing Education and UniversityExtension Michael Shinagel and Director of theExpository Writing Program Richard Marius areHaviaris' co-Publishers.

While most of the contributors are "very youngwriters--in their 30s and 40s," Haviaris hopesthat even younger writers will submit their worksbefore the fall Harvard Review's August 30deadline, he said.

"I do hope we will have more submissions fromundergraduates," Haviaris said.

"Some [undergraduates] are on their way tobecoming important poets and writers themselves,"he said. Though the competition will be tough, hesaid, "we would consider it an honor to have theirfirst work published here."CrimsonDavid E. RosenSTRATIS HAVIARIS