FDO Nixes Yard Plate Hunt for First-Years

By Radi M. Annab, Crimson Staff Writer

The Freshman Dean's Office (FDO) last week postponed the traditional Yard Plate Hunt, Associate Dean of Freshmen, W.C. Burriss Young '55 yesterday confirmed.

Young said current renovations in the Yard make the area unsafe for first-year students.

"The grounds people asked us not to do it because of the excavations over the summer," Young said.

The Crimson Key Society, which traditionally organizes the event, did not participate in the decision, according to Crimson Key executive board member Barney F. Schauble '94.

The hunt--in which prefects lead their entryways through a series of clues that end at the plate--was scheduled for last Sunday night. But the FDO postponed the contest a day before.

Young said a new date for the hunt is a "surprise." But Schauble said Crimson Key plans to hold the event in the winter or spring, when the poles and ropes are down.

Some prefects and first-years yesterday said they were disappointed by the cancellation.

"I think some people were disappointed because it is a good bonding experience," said Edward M. Gubbins '94, a member of the Crimson Key steering committee.

"I heard it was a tradition," said Omar S.Antari '96. "I'd like to see what it's like. Ihope they don't cancel it."

Some students felt the FDO could have done abetter job communicating their decision. "No onewas told anything," said 29 Garden St. residentJonathan Korngold '96. "It seems veryclandestine."

Even members of the prefect program said theywere not officially notified.

"I never got any official announcement fromanyone," said Gubbins. "I heard through thegrapevine."

Vicas Arora '95, a prefect, said studentslearned of the news from a sign posted in theCrimson Key tent.

Other students said that they were also notinformed about the reasons for the postponement.First-years and prefects said they heard a varietyof explanations.

"I heard the main reason was that theconstruction at Weld would be quite dangerous withpeople running around the Yard," said HusamuddinAnsari '93, one of the Yard captains.

Prefect Hamilton Chan '95 said he heard thatFacilities Maintenance "objected to the huntbecause they thought the Yard was pretty."

Facilities maintenance officials could not bereached for comment last night.

The Crimson Key in in possesion of the plateindefinitely