Theatricals Select Fairy Tale

Hasty Pudding to Produce 'Guys and Trolls' in Spring

By Rajath Shourie, Crimson Staff Writer

The Hasty Pudding Theatricals have selected a medieval fairy tale for the 145th production of its all-male musical.

"Guys and Trolls," set in an enchanted forest with kings, queens and dragons, easily beat out other scripts under consideration, said Pudding President Jason A. Kaufman '93.

"The characters in the plot are very well developed and extremely interesting," he said.

The authors, Nell D. Benjamin '93, Mark C. O'Keefe '93 and Larry O'Keefe '91, wrote the bulk of their script over the summer.

"It's a Puckish satire, which draws from Shakespeare and the modern political scene," Benjamin said, adding that the play also lampoons modern media.

Benjamin whose script last year lost out to "Up Your Ante," said she feared that she had been rejected again when Pudding Vice-President Adam S. Geyer '93 called her, sounding quite somber.

Eventually, though, Geyer got to the good news.

"I screamed A-A-G-H-H-H!" Benjamin said.

Co-playwright Mark O'Keefe joked that he was"shocked and deeply depressed" to hear the news."When I heard it from Nell's roommate I made amoaning, guttural sound," he said.

Despite the excitement, however, the authorssaid they did not forget the people who made itall possible. "I'd like to thank my parents, theacademy..." Benjamin quipped.

"Guys and Trolls" will be cast the firstweekend of December, and staged next semester.

The Pudding annual production is traditionallya showcase for men dressed in drag, since no womenare cast.

The student written musical does include womenin production, however.

The entire cast and crew travel to New York andBermuda over spring break to perform the show