Harvard Hockey Issues Its Own Trading Cards

By Lauren M. Ouziel

Put aside your Bobby Orr card. And those baseball collectables too.

The lingo around the sports card trading sessions may soon revolve around the names Drury, Farrell and Tracy--at least around this part of town.

The Harvard Department of Athletics this week released the first-ever collector cards of the Harvard hockey team under the direction of student entrepreneur G. Bart Kasowski '93, who is an editor of The Crimson.

Kasowski joined with Lafayette Graphics to produce the cards, using $4,000 from Harvard and his own funds. The partnership has made 1,500 sets of 31 cards for the dedicated Crimson fan to buy, collet and trade.

Kasowski, who also took many of the pictures, said he is a long-time fan and card collector.

He said his main goal is to "raise enthusiasm for the team"--already heightened by Harvard's Beanpot victory over Boston University on Monday.

Kasowski, who played on Harvard's junior varsity squad for two years, said he always wanted to see his picture on a sports card.

"Every kid's dream is to grow up and have their own card," he said.

But since he can't have his action photo circulating around campus he figured he could make that dream come true for this year's team.

And team member say he is right about that First year goaltender Aaron M. Israel '96, and he is thrilled with the cards.

"It's really cool." Israel said. "All these little kids always come down after the game to get autographs, and now they'll be coming down asking us to sign our own cards. That's awes some."

The cards include glossy full color photographs of the team's heroes as well as their biographies and career statistics on the back.

Kasowski said he expects Monday's Beanpot victory over Boston University to generate more revenue along with fans increased enthusiasm.

If the 1,500 set of cards out the University will make $3000 profit on its investment--which will go towards funding of the J.V. athletic programs.

The collection includes defenseman Derek J. Maguire '94 stealing the puck away from his opponent, Geb E. Marett '96 carefully examining his stick during a break in play and Ian T. Kennish '94 looking up exhaustedly through his visor.

Some cards have a colorful quote by or about the player, as on the one for Ben M. Coughlin '96: "Coughlin keeps defenders guessing with his speed and agility."

Kasowski said he hopes to expand the sports card production to other colleges across the country. With schools such as Cornell selling cards at $10 a set, Kasowski said he believes his is the best-equipped company for varsity cards in the nation.

Though Kasowsksi has so contracts with other colleges pending at the moment, he said, "this is just the beginning.